Clutch slip?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
speedbear
420 crawler
420 crawler

Clutch slip?

Post by speedbear » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:50 pm

I am brand new to the crawler world. I just purchased a 350b loader. while playing around, moving dirt, I noticed what semed like the clutch slipping. Engine running, machine/tracks not moving. To test my theory, I tried 4th gear. The machine didn't move at all, as if no power to transmission. Could this be a clutch adjustment? Or is there another problem to look for.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:41 am

Welcome to the board Speedbear-

You will probably need to do a little more troubleshooting for others on here to help diagnose your issue.

Your machine has several "clutches" between the engine and the final drives at the track sprockets. I believe you have a clutch and torsoinal isolator between the engine flywheel and directional reverser, clutch packs within the reverser itself, and a steering clutch between the reverser and each final drive. However you could also have broken shafts, bearings, or other issues between the engine and final drives as well that could keep the track sprockets from turning.

My recommendation would be to open the inspection plates at the top of each steering clutch housing and see if the drive pinion is turning on each side when in gear- if it is then your issue is not forward of that location (from engine to reverser) but rather with the mechanical steering clutch or final drive for that side. if both sides are "dead' then you have narrowed the issue to forward of the steering clutches.

EDIT: This will be a helpful thread for you to read:

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... sc&start=0
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

speedbear
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by speedbear » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:44 pm

My concern is that the "slipping" isn't always present. Sporatically, it seemed to slip while under a pushing strain while in 2nd gear. It never occurs in 1st gear. If I use 4th gear, it will move ok if I start out down hill a liitle, then it goes ok. This is what leads me to think there is a "main" drive clutch slipping, if there even is a main drive clutch?

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:24 am

You really need to pull those inspection covers and determine what you have in the clutch housings. I can't stress this enough! A little bit of moisture can and will cause what you have going on. 350s and other machines like them are water condensing fools. It doesn't take long for this moisture to build up and penetrate into the clutch packs and cause slipping.

Another thing to check is, pull the floor boards out and check for debris along and around the clutch pedal and the valve body for the reverser. This is the area directly under your left foot while sitting in the seat. If debris has built up between the accumulator lever and its stop, it will give you a slipping action. The debris keeps the accumulator from engaging all the way. On a 350 with a reverser, this is your clutch. You need to keep this area clean and clear of anything that can get in the way of proper operation of all the levers and or cables.

If all of this seems to be okay there are other areas to check. Diagnosing malfunctions is a process of elimination. You need to eliminate the things you know to be good.
You have several things that can cause your slipping. On 350s with dry steering clutches it is always check them first. Then we will go from there.

If you don't have a tech manual for your machine, then you need to get one. It is well worth the cost and is a must if you plan to keep this machine. There are several threads on this forum on how and where to purchase one.

Let us know what you find and good luck! :D
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.