New 2010C owner needs help

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
jsheffield
MC crawler
MC crawler

New 2010C owner needs help

Post by jsheffield » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:37 pm

Lavoy,
I'm new to the forum and a new JD 2010C Crawler (I believe) owner, and I'm hoping to get a little help on the specs. From what I have been able to research from you and others, best I can tell is that it's a 2010C with an 810-820 loader and a model 93 backhoe. The seller's Father passed and doesn't know much about the unit, but he was able to find a plaque on it that said Model 820 sn 2139. My understanding is, that model is for the loader portion, and not the crawler. Here's a link to the eBay auction. It has several pictures and also a video of the crawler in operation. I've got to get it shipped, but I don't know the dimensions or overall weight. The 2010 should be around 9,600#, but I don't know the weight of the 820 or the 93. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Jason

gerald
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by gerald » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:26 am

I have the 93A it's around 3k lb heavey an a brute of a hoe very nice. Do a serch on the forms there is alot of safty information an tips . the hoe will put ya in a bind if you attach or detach iit wroung.
1970 350 crawer/loader 93a back hoe

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: New 2010C owner needs help

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:16 am

jsheffield wrote:Lavoy,
I'm new to the forum and a new JD 2010C Crawler (I believe) owner, and I'm hoping to get a little help on the specs. From what I have been able to research from you and others, best I can tell is that it's a 2010C with an 810-820 loader and a model 93 backhoe. The seller's Father passed and doesn't know much about the unit, but he was able to find a plaque on it that said Model 820 sn 2139. My understanding is, that model is for the loader portion, and not the crawler. Here's a link to the eBay auction. It has several pictures and also a video of the crawler in operation. I've got to get it shipped, but I don't know the dimensions or overall weight. The 2010 should be around 9,600#, but I don't know the weight of the 820 or the 93. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Jason
Hi Jason-

You will find that there are several of us 2010 owners on here so we should be able to help you find out what you want to know.

The serial number for the crawler (unfortunately) was on the right side engine block for early serial number ranges (<42,000) and on the bellhousing for later ranges (>42,000). When engines were replaced, the ID plates often went with them so if you don't see the data plate in either of those locations then it is probably gone forever. You can figure out approximate serial number range from variations in various parts such as the diesel injector setup (unfortunately you have a gas engine) and the undercarriage.

I checked out the link with the video and pics. It does look like a 2010. The combination of crawler, loader, and backhoe is going to be somewhere in the 15,000-16,000 pound range. The hoe alone is about 3,000 pounds.

One question- do you know for sure the hoe is a 93A (data plate, etc)? Several of the rotary swing cylinder hoes look very similar, although yours does look different than my Model 50.

Here is a spec sheet for the 93A hoe- unfortunately Murphy Tractor doesn't have the 2010 crawler specs online.

http://murphyused.com/images/specs/357.pdf

I do have paper copies of the 2010 crawler and loader specs at home if you need me to look them up tonight. I could guess at the dimensions with hoe attached but if you are using to arrange shipping I would rather be precise.

There are also a lot of good discussions on basics of the 2010 if you do a search of the archives on here.

Welcome to the board.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

jsheffield
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: New 2010C owner needs help

Post by jsheffield » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:19 am

Thanks for the welcome, and I'm so glad that there are folks like you guys out there. I have been using the searches, but when you're not certain what you have, it's not as productive and for some reason, none of this comes up under dohickey or thing-a-majig. :-)
Tigerhaze wrote: One question- do you know for sure the hoe is a 93A (data plate, etc)? Several of the rotary swing cylinder hoes look very similar, although yours does look different than my Model 50.

The crawler is 1100 miles away and I'm guessing based on pictures (like the one above) and practically no knowledge of crawlers, so, no, I'm not sure at all it's a 93. :D I'm just happy that I got 2 of the 3 components right! Heck, I went through 3 different crawler models before I found the 2010 and was able to match it. I feel like I'm playing some weird game of name that implement. :-)

What are the key differences between the 93 and 50?

I did find a few good 2010 resources along the way (most that this board had pointed out):

Johnnypopper.com
TractorData.com

but I haven't been able to find anything similar for the 810-820 or the 93, if that is what I have.

Thanks again!

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:48 pm

deleted
Last edited by KenP on Thu May 30, 2013 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No longer posting on JDCrawlers

Gil
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Gil » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:47 pm

The easiest to see physical difference between the Model 50 and 93 are the outriggers. The 50 has a short cylinder that mounts on the top and pushes the outrigger foot down. The 93 has a longer cylinder that attaches at the bottom as in your picture. This allows the foot to rise considerable off the ground and out of the way - a major improvement.

The parts manuals for both models are located at: http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com. ... ervlet_Alt
Gil
JD440-ICD loader; JD440-IC bulldozer; JD440-ICD backhoe; JD440-I backhoe; JD440-I tractor; + five recumbent JD440-ICs

gerald
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by gerald » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:43 pm

Gil good information . I know now my hoe is a model 50. The 93 out riggers are are better and out of the way of rocks an dirt.

jsheffield
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by jsheffield » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:55 pm

Gil wrote:The parts manuals for both models are located at: http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com. ... ervlet_Alt
Gil
Gil,
This is why I love this forum. You guys are amazing. I did try that link and when I put in 93 or 50 I get a tree of individual parts, but I can't seem to find a PDF spec sheet for either (could just be operator error - PEBCAK - problem exists between chair and keyboard).

I was able to get the specs for the Model 50, 93A, and the JD1010 from Murphyused.com/specs.php, but I've struck out on the deere.com lookup, and I can't find the JD 2010C spec sheet anywhere, other than the basic info from TractorData.com. I did manage to get the JD 2010 Parts Catalogs that was mentioned in another thread.

According to JohnnyPopper, since I've got a gas unit, it's one of less than 1100 ever made...

Looks like I may have found a transport to get the crawler home, just have to wait until the end of the month since my wife will be having surgery next week. I'd really like to get back in the door once I get home...

I'm glad that loader can pick up a least a couple of tons as our acreage is literally a petrified forest and we've got several full trunks that weigh a couple tons each. I've been scanning the forums to see if anyone else has dealt with land clearing with rocks that size. The brush and trees are the easy part, it's the clearing without ruining your gear I've got to learn (well, there's a lot more, but that's at the top of the list).

gerald
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by gerald » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:06 am

I like the forms also keeps me out of trouble. There are some neet pictures in the show an tell.I just fixed my 1970 350 an its paying for its self fast. I love my old crawer as mush as my harley work an play . I do baby it an watch it close because it's 40 year old machine. Do your own work an deal with Levoy. Good luck gerald

Gil
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Gil » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:11 am

You asked for suggestions about clearing large boulders, etc. My experience has been (with JD440's) that the hydraulics will pick up a great deal in the bucket - in fact more than you should be carrying. You can use this power to lift loads up into a dump truck, but moving with a heavy load puts a tremendous strain on your undercarriage and running gear, not to mention making the crawler unstable if the bucket is raised very high.

What I frequently do with a heavy load, like a stump, is chain it to the bucket and drag it or push it. With your backhoe attachment you will already be adding a good deal of weight to the crawler. It is not just the weight but the moment arm caused by the boom which will make maneuvering difficult and less predictable, especially if the bucket is also raised.
Gil
JD440-ICD loader; JD440-IC bulldozer; JD440-ICD backhoe; JD440-I backhoe; JD440-I tractor; + five recumbent JD440-ICs

gerald
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by gerald » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:53 am

Gil. Good reply with safety in mind. My 350 has 1 1/4 bucket that somebody welded a one ft extension on eash side of my bucket it's 7 ft 2 inch wide nicely done. It,s nice and the crawer will load it in one push an handels the load good. I also go slow an keep it the load low .My dirt work an land scapeing is all loose from the J D 850 with ripper I hired to move a mt. !000 to hire the 850 an 2000 rebuild my 350. I'm lucky the clutches where about gone or it would self destruct. Keep that in mind .

jsheffield
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by jsheffield » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:23 am

Gil wrote:You asked for suggestions about clearing large boulders, etc. My experience has been (with JD440's) that the hydraulics will pick up a great deal in the bucket - in fact more than you should be carrying. You can use this power to lift loads up into a dump truck, but moving with a heavy load puts a tremendous strain on your undercarriage and running gear, not to mention making the crawler unstable if the bucket is raised very high.
Excellent point. Use the loader to free the stone, but then use another method to haul it so as not to unnecessarily wear down the undercarriage. Keep it low, and don't use the crawler as a dump truck, and she'll last a lot longer.
Gil wrote:With your backhoe attachment you will already be adding a good deal of weight to the crawler. It is not just the weight but the moment arm caused by the boom which will make maneuvering difficult and less predictable, especially if the bucket is also raised.
Gil
So, do owners with backhoes remove them when they aren't going to be used to lessen the strain on the undercarriage? I did see Gerald's comment about attaching and detaching and how it can cause issues. I'm used to switching out components for our 3pt hookup on our tractors, but I wouldn't have thought to do it with the backhoe unless I had something else to put back there.

Gil
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Gil » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:07 am

My Model 50 backhoe is actually on a JD440I wheel tractor. With quick connect hydraulic fittings, it is not that difficult to remove once you have designed a rack or someway to hold it when detaching it. With the backhoe on the rear of the tractor, it makes for some interesting driving. Have you ever been on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride at Disneyland?

If I had a crawler mounted backhoe and could not dedicate it to doing just backhoe work, I would definitely considering having a setup so I could remove it. In doing the general bulldozing and loader work around the farm, it would be a lot easier to go under trees, get around buildings, and not bash in the side of my truck when I don't watch how close I make a turn. The downside is that if you used the loader with heavy loads, you would need a counter weight to keep from tipping forward.
Gil

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:11 am

Gil,
Hoe should hold itself on removal, not sure what you mean by a rack? With the stick out almost flat, that controls the angle on the mount, then just lift with the outriggers and adjust the angle with the lift cylinder. Unless I am missing something.
Lavoy

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:23 am

I keep my backhoe detached most of the time since I have worn undercarriage- it really helps to keep the sprockets from grinding down and makes it a little easier to go up and donw inclines since the outriggers and bottom of the hoe tend to drag a little.

There are two downsides to having it off. One is you lose the counterweight it provides so you definitely have to keep loads somewhat lighter to keep from pitching forward. I bought a 2010 with the removal counterweight bracket so I try to use it when not using the hoe to helkp with that problem- I use a skid steer to switch that in and out. The other downside is if you throw a track or get stuck, it is much easier to get out of a jam with the backhoe on 8) if not you can see what happens if you look through some of my show and tell pics :oops:

Like Lavoy said, it is almost a piece of cake to attach and detach- the key is to balance it like a tripod so it doesn't tilt or fall over. Make sure you keep it upright enough that you can reach the hoses to connect. Once they are connected, you can use the boom and outriggers as needed to adjust it up into the bracket on the crawler.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment