350 diesel been sittin

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
dbqworx
MC crawler
MC crawler

350 diesel been sittin

Post by dbqworx » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:42 pm

this 350 has been sittin for probally ten or more years. changed the oil drained old fuel replaced with new. it turns over fine its just not firing seems to be fuel related any ideas where to start. not real familiar with these in diesel an info would be appreiated

woodsman
40C crawler
40C crawler

350 Diesel

Post by woodsman » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:06 pm

Crack the injectors one at a time. Crank it over till you see fuel leaking out. If none flows, then it may be the injector pump or clogged filter.
Martin
1-1010 crawler with 6 way blade; International 510 loader on rubber; Kubota KH-61 excavator
Did have:
5-1010 crawlers; 3-1010 loaders

townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by townlineterry » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:48 am

If you bled the fuel system and still will not fire look at compression and cranking speed. The two kind of go hand in hand. It might seem like it is cranking good, but if it isn't up to speed you can't get enough compression to fire.

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:48 am

If you are not getting fuel to the injectors it could be the solenoid shut off valve, sitting 10 years it could be stuck.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:27 am

Breathing new life back into a long forgotten diesel is one of my favourite things i have done since owning crawlers!

When you added new fuel did you drain the fuel filters of the old fuel? I would change them (if there is two or you may have just one) then turn it over or use the manual pump lever at the bottom/back of the fuel pump to fill the filter(s) with the bleed open. Once you have the filter(s) full close the bleed screw, and loosen the fuel hose at the injector pump and bleed the air and old fuel out to there as well.
As already suggested, you need to bleed the injectors while cranking it over, until fuel is coming from each one. (see videos below) Let enough out so that you have cleaned old fuel from the pump and injector lines. Be prepared to do this again once it fires up, while it is running, to purge out air or old fuel. When you open them while running, you will hear that cylinder quit firing and start up again when you tighten it up.
If you have not already done so, check the air filter and all air intake hoses etc for mice nests, bee hives and etc. that might get sucked into the engine when it starts. Check the muffler as well, I had mice fill a 350 exhaust with Canola seed that filled the cylinders through open exhaust valves.
Watch the oil pressure when it starts up. If you do not get pressure shut it down!
Read the post attached with lots of advice on using either,

Either can make a big difference in starting old diesels, but comes with some strong warnings from many experts that post here. I use it carefully to start my 350s when cold or on my oil burning lower compression parts machine.

the post that has a lot of advice about either;
http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... highlight=

This post is my starting a 350 after 11 years, 3 videos at the end.
http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... ght=#35824

I hope all this helps, keep us updated!

Scott
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Oil before fire up

Post by JWB Contracting » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:36 pm

Another thing that my dad likes to do is to pre-lube the engine. He uses a 12 volt electric over hydraulic set and pumps oil into the engine thru the oil pressure sender hole in the block. Also, found an oil gallery on the starter side of the block front and near the bottom. Had to find one as last 350 we fixed up didn't show any oil pressure, the previous owner must have blocked the oil pressure gallery for the factory sender with a gasket or silicone.

[/list]
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

woodsman
40C crawler
40C crawler

Pre-luber

Post by woodsman » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:03 pm

Jason,
This is a great idea to prolong the life of an engine. Normally every time you start an engine-any engine- you're turning it over dry. The marine industry, for one, uses an electric device to pre-lube the engine every time it's started. It's permanently mounted on the side of the engine. For the number of times we start one of these machines over it's life, it's a valuable attachment to have.
Martin
1-1010 crawler with 6 way blade; International 510 loader on rubber; Kubota KH-61 excavator
Did have:
5-1010 crawlers; 3-1010 loaders

jdemaris

Re: 350 diesel been sittin

Post by jdemaris » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:45 pm

dbqworx wrote:this 350 has been sittin for probally ten or more years. changed the oil drained old fuel replaced with new. it turns over fine its just not firing seems to be fuel related any ideas where to start. not real familiar with these in diesel an info would be appreiated
If it's not pumping fuel and it has the DB or JDB injection pump - I'd suspect the metering valve inside the pump. It sits all the way on top and is the first part to dry out when a machine has sat a long time. The metering valve is what shuts the fuel "off" and "on." There is no mechanical connection to it from outside the pump. All there is . . is a spring inside the pump to pull it into "run" position. If it IS stuck, it's easy to get to by pulling the top cover off the pump. I'd crack a few lines and see if any fuel is being pumped. You ought to see a few drops at each line while cranking if it is working.

dbqworx
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by dbqworx » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:24 pm

wow thats some great info! Thanks to all who responded. here is an update. Yesterday i went to change fuel filters and broke one of the glass bowls. Well got a lead on a parts machine and replaced it with a metal one. Two new filters and o rings and we are sealed up there. Next after pumping the primer the rubber T's started leaking. Local J D dealer set me up with them now thats sealed. Have fresh fuel at pump no fuel seems to be comin out of pump. so i guess i am to the inection pump. seems like could be fuel turn off issue back on it tomorrow am excited to see it produce some smoke