440 ICD Track Bushings

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
mark914
MC crawler
MC crawler

440 ICD Track Bushings

Post by mark914 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:42 pm

Anybody know if the track pins and bushings are available yet for the 440 ICD ? I knew mine were getting worn but now I see a couple of bushings wore completely through.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:09 pm

They are current from Deere, little under $2000/set.
I am working on replacements now, but nothing in the short term.
Lavoy

mark914
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by mark914 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:51 am

Thanks Lavoy. The bushings haven't been turned yet so maybe I can replace the ones that are worn through and have the others turned.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:25 am

Hi Mark- you may find the cost of turning pins and bushings and replacing select ones or finding other used track may be the same as putting in new pins/bushings once you factor the labor and track press in, although not confident of that statement with Deere parts. Lavoy does track work so he would have a better idea on the cost differential.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

jdemaris

Re: 440 ICD Track Bushings

Post by jdemaris » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:58 am

mark914 wrote:Anybody know if the track pins and bushings are available yet for the 440 ICD ? I knew mine were getting worn but now I see a couple of bushings wore completely through.
If you've got some broke through, it's probably too late to turn them. I just went through the same thing. Deere used to recommend turning pins and bushings 180 degrees -but you never know for sure if it's worth it until the track is apart. I've had some that were well worn all the way around.

A guy near me has a small press and charges $400 per track to turn. Mine were so bad though, it wasn't worth it.

Local Deere dealer gets $2200 for pins and bushings for two 36 link tracks. Add that along with close to another $1000 labor, and then maybe worn chain links? That's what led me to search for good used tracks.

20 miles from me is a pair of 36 link tracks with two-bolt pads in REAL good shape. Pins and bushings and chain links near new condition. The place wants $1000 total for the pair of tracks. As I recall, they have dozer high grouse pads on them. I didn't buy because I wanted four-bolt chains and pads. Those tracks are in Sharon Springs, New York. I suspect the only reason they haven't sold is because they are already rolled up and off the crawler, and in the bushes. Hard to ID unless you've got specs and a tape measure (I did). I found almost new tracks with four bolt pads for $1500.

If my chains hadsn't been so worn, I would of bought new bushings from Deere but made my own pins. Deere gets $720 for the 36 bushings and near $1500 just for the pins. You can buy hardened 4140 1" pin stock for a little over $500 and make your own pins. 1050 steel would cost around $275 but it should be hardened will adds to the cost. Each pin is 1" OD by 5 1/2" long. 72 pins comes to 34 1/2 feet of one inch stock. Deere pins are made from 1050 steel and hardened. I use 4140 prehardened when I make pins.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:39 am

If one is worn, they are all worn, just a couple of them have perforated. You have to replace all of them, you can't just replace a few.
If you make your own pins, keep in mind that 4140 pre-hardened is about half the Rockwell of an original pin, give or take.
Lavoy

jdemaris

Post by jdemaris » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:34 pm

Lavoy wrote:If one is worn, they are all worn, just a couple of them have perforated. You have to replace all of them, you can't just replace a few.
If you make your own pins, keep in mind that 4140 pre-hardened is about half the Rockwell of an original pin, give or take.
Lavoy
There are many ways to do it. Deere "Duratrax" pins and bushings are made for Deere by Berco, last I checked. They use 1050 steel and induction harden to HRC 60 with a hardness depth around 3/32".

4140 prehardened rod comes in hardness ratings from HRC30 to HRC54 from the sources I've used.

You can also use A2 air-hardenable rod and harden yourself. It will harden to HRC60-62, just like the Berco/Deere/Duratrax. Problem is it is not often cheap. It's been $2 to $2.50 per inch lately. That come to around $14 per pin which makes the price of the Deere/Berco pins not so bad.

W2 water hardenable rod is cheaper at $1 per inch and hardens to HRC54. Also not bad for a part time user machine. Costs around $6-$7 per pin.

I made my own pins in my Allis Chalmers HD6 crawler 10 years ago. It's a part time user and can't say how many hours it has since I did it. I used 4140 that was rated a hardness of HRC50. I turned the bushings but made new pins since the old ones were worn all the way around. Since I did it, I haven't even had to readjust the tracks. Now - if it was an all day, every day user - I'd made more of an effort to get harder pin stock.

To "each his own." If I made pins from any of the materials I've mentioned, they'd out-last me, but I don't use my crawlers all day, every day. If somebody plans to use a 50 year old crawler that much, there will be many other issues to consider besides Rockwell "C" hardness.