Comprehensive JD crawler history book?

Facts and knowledgebase about John Deere crawlers
Lupusrex
40C crawler
40C crawler

Comprehensive JD crawler history book?

Post by Lupusrex » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:06 am

Hi

Does anyone know of a comprehensive JD crawler history book?
Some years ago I bought a couple of JD Tractors history book that were great, but with limited crawler info in them.

Any suggestions on this?

BR/Fred

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:19 am

Hi Fred-

I don't know of any for sure, but did you try this book? I haven't checked it out yet so it may have limited crawler info but it would seem they would need to talk about them in there to be thorough about industrial models.

Seems like making a photo book about strictly JD crawlers would be a good money-maker for anyone that is an author on here! :lol:
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Little John
430 crawler
430 crawler

JD Industrials Book

Post by Little John » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:33 pm

It has some info on the older 2 cyl crawlers but mostly on the wheel machines. It does tell about the relationship of the crawlers to the wheel machines though, i.e. how JD (and others) modified a wheel machine to a crawler. Crawler info is limited to mostly writtten info. and a few nice crawler pics. A page or two on options and attachments.... info that was new to me at least. It goes into newer machines too, including pans, road graders, excavators (backhoes to us geezers), fork lifts, dozers and trucks.
All in all it is a good addition to your library.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:42 pm

About the best reference you will ever find is "The Little Giants" by J.R. Hobbs. It is about the Dubuque series of two cylinder tractors and crawlers. J.R. is one of the best in the business, and currently work for the Two Cylinder club. The book is out of print, but you might be able to find a copy laying around.
Lavoy

Lupusrex
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Lupusrex » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:34 pm

Hi

Many Thanks for the info. I´ll try to find what you´ve mentioned on Amazon or so.

BR/Fred