John Deere model 1010 stops

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
ld7mile
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by ld7mile » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:46 pm

Hello. I am new to this site. Less than a week ago I purchased a John Deere bull dozer. A 1963 Model 1010. It will move forward about 20 feet then stop. Then it will move backwards sometimes a little more distance then stop. This is with the blade lifted. A steering clutch will stop the machine forward or reverse. Can anyone give me any information on this problem? Also does anyone know where to find the tag that has the model number of the dozer part of the machine, or tell me how to identify the type of dozer it has on it? It has a 94 inch blade and the frame is on the outside of the tracks. I need to find parts for one of the blade lift hydraulic cylinders.

Thanks have a good day.
ljs

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:05 pm

I'm guessing that your steering clutches are slipping. When you pull the steering lever it stops because the brake is engaging. Try adjusting the steering clutches per the manual before going any further.

If like the 2010, the serial number for an early serial number 1010 is on the right (passenger) side of the engine block. If later, it would be on the engine bellhousing. Sometimes engines are replaced which then eliminates any chance of knowing the true serial number on early 1010s.

Lavoy or others could tell you the blade number- 602 or 612 or something like that? The JD parts lookup website would tell you for sure.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

mc_mike
430 crawler
430 crawler

hydraulic reverser?

Post by mc_mike » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:29 pm

I am assuming you have a reverser on this machine? Have you checked the fluid level?

ld7mile
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by ld7mile » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:00 pm

Thank you for the information. The person that sold me the dozer said he changed the fluid. I checked it and it is full. I do not know what he put in it. It looks like automatic transmission fluid. I received a manual today from yesterday tractor, but it only has tractors in it. The John Deere dealers nearby do not have a manual in stock. When I find a manual with dozers or crawlers in it I will adjust the steering clutches and go from there. Where is a good place to order parts online? I will be needing seal for the hydraulic cylinder. 602 or 612 sounds like good number according to what I have hearing from the local John Deere parts department. I found a 6 digit production number on the left side of the engine block that tells me it is a 1963 Thanks again for the information.

Have a good night.
ljs

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:43 am

You can order manuals directly from John Deere online- you can even download them from that site if they are not in stock.

The JD parts online link shows exploded diagrams of the parts, including the blades.

I would find links but have to go. if you dio a search on this site for those keywords you will find them.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment