repairs in a pinch

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
millertym2
430 crawler
430 crawler

repairs in a pinch

Post by millertym2 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:41 pm

Hi all.
I have been fixing up my mc for a while now. I started on the left side to get the steering working.I only put in new fiber clutch's (from Lavoy)and reused the original pressure plate. And that worked fine-SO I went on to the right side and tore into it.That side was heavily rusted so I installed new clutch discs and pressure plate.

Now since we are building a new house I have to do some clean up. We have had a few mobile homes that were storage and other people have left when they moved. I got to use the MC to pull them apart. Well I got a little too pushy and the left steering clutch started to slip.And got worse as I limped back to the garage(I barely got in the garage) So I tore the old, abused putt putt apart and naturally the pressure plate was weak. Now since we are building the new house cash is TIGHT. And the assesors were going to be down any time. I had to improvise. I tackwelded a 1/8 " piece of steel to the pressure plate to thinken it up and give somemore pressure. To my surprise it actually worked!! Now my lesson learned is LISTEN TO LAVOY AND WHILE ITS APART PUT NEW PARTS IN!!!

Lavoy,I will be calling you about a new pressure plate(as soon as I get in some OT).

millertym2.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:55 pm

What is it Mr Goodwrench used to say? "You can pay me now, or pay me later." A lot of my reasoning for replacing everything that is questionable is I don't really like pulling finals in the first place. BUT, I really HATE pulling them the second time.
Years ago when I started collecting, there were no sources for many of these parts, and we had to get by with used stuff. When it fails later, it is always a pain in the butt.
Lavoy