550 Oil Leak

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
torove
MC crawler
MC crawler

550 Oil Leak

Post by torove » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:38 am

Hi, new to this forum. Looks like a friendly bunch so I joined.
I see lots of 350 and 450 threads but not so much 550.
Now for my tractor.
Item...1978 JD 550 though on the dataplate it says JD 550 C ? 6 way blade, rear hyd. output, Mann brushrake, ROPS and risers.
Problem.... Hydraulic oil leaking from jiggle pin hole in bottom of torque converter housing at more than 1 quart per half hour.
Question.... The local dealer suggested two potential leaking seals in the housing and possibly a gasket in the converter. Quote to fix $6500.
So planning to do it myself.
If I build a frame using the ROP as one end and a couple verticals attached to the blade, with two rails joining overhead;
what weight will I be lifting to extricate the engine?
how far back do I need to move it to remove torque converter?
how heavy is torque converter and what supports its front end when engine moves forward?
Any advice, hints, tips will be seriously appreciated.

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:56 pm

That would be the way to go your converter seal is gone that is the problem watch you may need more than that though I would look into the fact that the seal may have left a grove in the output shaft .That converter is a bit larger than an automotive unit but not much .it is made by Twin Screw for John Deere I have had some experience with those converters but it was years ago when they built real dozers.The new ones whine a lot and don't do the down and dirty pushing the converter dozers do .I had 550s since 78 so I have had my share of those Deeres ,There are a few of us on here in the 550 wing of the club so don't feel you may be alone I have had many of them my self and swear by them .You will need around 14 inches of room to take the converter out beyond the bell housing you will need more room than that to get the new seal in that is your biggest job but it can be done keep in touch We are right here for you !. Digitup.

torove
MC crawler
MC crawler

550 oil leak

Post by torove » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:15 am

Thankyou Digitup
thinking of the overhead beams and chain hoist to lift the engine, do you think it is heavier than half ton (1000 lbs).?
I'll watch for grooving of the shaft and hope to polish out if not too bad.
With the amount of oil loss I'm expecting a cracked seal or bad gasket in converter. I think the only other seal to converter housing is the (O ring maybe ?) on the winch gear shaft. My manual is not clear on how to get to that.
I'm guessing the whole converter unit must be cantilever mounted by the 4 cap screws at the tranny end. Any memory of it?
Once I know difficulty factors I can decide whether to attempt this out doors or construct a shelter for a longer project.
I'm very pleased with the work this dozer can do over a 450 and especially over the 350 that was on this property before.

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:20 am

deleted
Last edited by KenP on Wed May 29, 2013 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No longer posting on JDCrawlers

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:37 pm

Ken a low hour 550 J is a brand new machine I have two for you that don't have low hours on them and a third one catching up to them there has been a lot of water under the bridge since the 550s were made .Torove it takes very little deviation and the big problem with a converter seal is you never get the new one in exactly in the same spot as the old one was .there may be a steel sleeve and over sized seal kit for that old Deere but don't bet on it .That roll bar will take that motor it's been done many times before .Digitup.

torove
MC crawler
MC crawler

550 oil leak

Post by torove » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:58 pm

From the specs link,(thanks Ken) looks like about 870 lbs without oil so I'm comfortable with the ROP support and will make sure the front support is as strong.
I might get a better chain hoist than my half ton unit.
Does any one know how the converter is supported when the engine/flywheel is removed ? does it just rest on the housing seal ?
I'm also wondering about its weight for armstrong removal, or how to access it to lift it with the chain hoist

I guess my 1978 is modern compared to some of the wonderful old iron I read about here.
One of my daily driver vehicles is a 1964 lwb LandRover which I've taken around the world more than once.

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:41 am

deleted
Last edited by KenP on Wed May 29, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No longer posting on JDCrawlers

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:38 pm

It's a bit heavier than a large car unit you can do it and it hooks up the same so pull with the engine and converter together .Then install on pump drive first .Aim motor later aline converter mount bolts and away you go .Sounds easy dosn't it !! There are several different ring gear/ flywheel units used depending on age of 550 but they bolt up with a little cursing and wrenching.I always figure the puttin together is the down home stretch .Like I said you look at the output shaft and think that dont look that bad put a straight edge on it it may look good but put that converter back in like that and it will piss oil till you scrap her .Don't go half ass at that point Digitup.

torove
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: 550 Oil Leak

Post by torove » Wed May 16, 2018 10:22 am

Well, it is many years later but I did get the job done. Replaced the large torque converter seal and the associated tube seals.
Total cost without oils $700
Total time not including hardened mud and oil cleaning 48 hours.
about 300hrs on it so far and no leaks
I later removed the shuttle valve block, checked all springs and replaced seals which were leaking.
I just completed repinning and bushing right front idler wheel

And now to replace rear C frame pins and bushings, left side is badly worn.
I'm hoping I can remove pins from underneath and lower the C frame arms with jacks, enough to replace the bushings.
Any thoughts on this, rather than unhooking all hoses and rams and backing away from C frame ???

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Thu May 17, 2018 6:52 am

Glad you got it fixed, welcome back ! I appreciate posting follow up, I try to do the same helps when people are searching for threads to hear how they got wrapped up.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

torove
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by torove » Thu May 17, 2018 8:39 am

Agreed, Ive been guilty of worse though.
The C frame can be held with jacks while pins are removed, then lowered with jacks and the blade lift rams.
The bushings can then be pressed out but left side pin cannot be fully removed without releasing 2 of the 3 bolts holding the belly pan side cover plate and jacking the belly pan upward. No need to remove the belly pan.