440 hydraulic oil recomendation

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
drummer
40C crawler
40C crawler

440 hydraulic oil recomendation

Post by drummer » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:16 pm

Still working on the 440 wheel tractor that has a #71 loader. I have the reverser fixed and thanks to this site a new clutch. Its running now and I discovered the hydraulic pump is starving for oil. I removed the filter - metal mesh style that was collapsed. Deere wants $92 for a new one. Can't find an alternative but my question is more the oil. It now has Hygard that is contaminated with water - about 12-13 gallon. Is it possible to just let it sit in 5 gallon pails to separate the water and than skim off? At $14 a gallon for Hygard its expensive. Would Farm and Fleet oil at half the price be just as good as a replacement as long as it meets the specs? I'm amazed on how JD is getting wild on parts prices. I'm getting good at finding used parts and fixing up the old parts to the point I don't even bother to get a new parts price from JD.
Thanks Drummer
440 ICD,#64 six way blade, center throttle, late March 1960 build; 440 I gas wheel tractor, loader, 3 pt, float ride seat, pto, reverser, 5speed.

Gil
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Gil » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:04 pm

For the hydraulic pump, a store brand hydraulic oil is fine. Save the Hy-Gard for your direction reverser (unless you use ATF fluid). Gil
JD440-ICD loader; JD440-IC bulldozer; JD440-ICD backhoe; JD440-I backhoe; JD440-I tractor; + five recumbent JD440-ICs

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 440 hydraulic oil recomendation

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:15 am

drummer wrote: my question is more the oil. It now has Hygard that is contaminated with water - about 12-13 gallon. Is it possible to just let it sit in 5 gallon pails to separate the water and than skim off? Thanks Drummer
Read this thread for another idea:

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... =water+oil
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:48 am

It now has Hygard that is contaminated with water - about 12-13 gallon.
If your oil is still in the drum, put it on its side with a spout in the small hole, and crack the large bung to vent. Raise one end of the drum a bit and slowly drain into a bucket. The water will be on the bottom and come out first. When you get oil stop pouring and dispose of this mix. With care, the drum should now only have a little water left, and if you re-right it, you can pump off the oil, which will be on top. I'd pump it into a bucket before putting it into a machine so I could see its quality, and decide to use it or not.

I haven't used the water absorbants mentioned, but they sound good if you are only trying to remove a little water from the oil.
I wonder if the water separators can be "dried out" and re-used like other dessicants?
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

wildbill65
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by wildbill65 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:15 pm

I bought some 303 equivalent from Tractor Supply Co. for around 35.00 for a 5 gallon bucket. My hydraulics are working fine.

Thanks,
Bill
My dad told me there would be days like this.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:47 pm

$14/gallon for 5 gallons of oil is $90. Last price I was able to come up with for a new Hydreco hyd pump was somewhere past $1400. Kind of makes oil seem cheap.
I was just at Walmart, and 5 gallons of hyd oil was $42 I believe. Given the potential cost of repair due to contaminated oil, I normally get the moisture out of my oil by dumping it in my burn barrel and lighting it on fire, then replacing it with new.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Labrador_tractor
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Labrador_tractor » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:40 pm

you could do what I do with dirty diesel fuel, while I was working at a truck shop that done fuel trucks when ever we had to change a pipe or a pump or whatever we had to drain the system which resulted in a tub of diesel fuel full of dirt becasue there was no actual drain point just unbolt a coupling or whatever was most convenient. Now being to owner of a loader and a diesel pickup I couldn't pour the diesel into the waste oil drum so what I used to do was put it in 5 gal buckets and put about 2 inches of water in the bucket, let it sit for a few days so all the dirt settle's then put it outside in the winter for the water to freeze trapping the dirt. during summer I just put it aside in a drum with water then when it froze I pumped it out as needed.