trying to figure out if my 420c is useable?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
mhaskell
MC crawler
MC crawler

trying to figure out if my 420c is useable?

Post by mhaskell » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:30 pm

Hi All, I was given a 5 roller 420C that has been well used over its lifetime. I am asking for some advice on rebuilding parts of the dozer and if it will be useable.

I would like to use the dozer in the wood pulling out logs, possibly clearing an acre or so.

The good news is that the dozer is complete and I went through the motor and it runs really well. The dozer drives back and forth and all the gears seem to work, but the right side brake and clutch is frozen.

Both tracks are pretty work, measuring 24.125" across 5 pins- 23.5" is 100% worn according to the manual.

I could rebuild the two finals but my fear is that the tracks are too worn to stay on during use and would need new pins/bushings etc etc.

Am I being too paranoid about the crawler being a money pit that won't be much use?

Would pictures of the tracks be helpful? If so what would you like to see?

thanks in advance!

JimAnderson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Moneypit

Post by JimAnderson » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:42 pm

Hello,
Any of these old crawlers can be a money pit.From the engine to the
transmission parts are available from a number of sources including
JD.Not cheap but available.The finals to the tracks is where things get more interesting and expensive.Steering clutches and brakes with
their associated bits can be a shock pricewise but parts are available.
New two bolt tracks are not to be had so used tracks or conversion
to 350 tracks are the only option for metal tracks.That is if your rails
and pads are shot.It could be that all your tracks need is fresh pins
and bushings.Close up shots of the rails would allow the folks here
to suggest what might be best for you.If the rails are shot you could
remove a link and run to failure.How much use you get out of your machine and what it costs you per hours use can't be determined
with any certainty.For their size the jd two cylinder crawlers are amazing
machines.Why else would so many of us keep using them decades
after their prime.Whatever you do don't scrap the machine .JMHO
Luck JimAnderson

Willyr
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Willyr » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:29 am

Are you being paranoid? No.

A crawler as a skidder is a excellent choice for a 420. 420's are good for pushing snow and light duty dirt moving. You wont be able to push over a big tree. Yet you can cut away most of the dirt from a tree and then push it over (maybe). It is all about how it is used.

Yes pictures are helpful. Do a close up of each side of the track (preferably so we can see the pin). Let us see a right and left picture of the tractor from about 15 feet away. Take end shots. Those 6 pictures will be able to show alot about your tractor. Also we at this board love to see other tractors.

Is it worth to put money into a tractor? A tractor is not something that you can flip to make money off of. You invest money into it based only on if you want to use it, not of what the end value is going to be worth.

Tractors are tools. A good tool will be taken care of. Mind you crawlers need alot of repair. Dont be surprised if you have to shell out 10 grand eventually to get a crawler back to original factory quality. Yet these are also antiques. If you have kids, they too may some day get to own your fine jewel
former owner of a 1956 420c
All help is greatly appreciated.

Proud owner of a project 1952 JD 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFehqXVd9z4

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:45 am

If it has been given to you, you have no up front investment. If you spend a few thousasd fixing it, you will basically be at the same dollar amount as if you had bought a crawler in similar condition, it just wouldn't be repaired. If you have work for the crawler, and plan on keeping it for a while, it is really doesn't matter what you put into it unless you want to resell it for a profit.
Figure out what the value in dollars is for the work that it will do for you, and deduct that from any money you put into it. I think you will find that you are money ahead no matter what, and then if you sell the crawler, it is profit so to speak.
I have a few sets of pins and bushings left, so that is not a problem. Steering clutches are readilly available, so again, that is not an issue.
If you are mechanically inclined, enjoy a project, and have a use for the crawler, I say go for it.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

mhaskell
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by mhaskell » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:33 pm

Hi all, thanks for the feedback. I will take a bunch of pictures this weekend and post them.

At this point my plan is to get the dozer in the garage, take off the track and open the finals to get a look at the steering clutch and brake condition.

If nothing major seems to be broken then new clutches, seals and bands would be the plan.

Once the machine steers and stops well I figure I can put the track back together as is and use it a bit and see if the tracks are at least workable. I am a bit hesitant about throwing a track deep in the woods, but that is part of the fun right?

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:07 pm

Photo the sprockets also.

Craigk79
40C crawler
40C crawler

Track in wood

Post by Craigk79 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:41 pm

I have a 40C and this year I was in the woods and lost a track and it
Was a job to fix it back in the woods so and this winter I will be starting to
Restore it.

Craig
OWN a John Deere 40C
Craig

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:43 am

When you have the finals off, I recommend chekcing bearings and seals, then is the time to do it.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com