Pictures of my 420C- is it useable?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
mhaskell
MC crawler
MC crawler

Pictures of my 420C- is it useable?

Post by mhaskell » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:06 pm

Hi All, I was given a 5 roller 420C that has been well used over its lifetime. I am asking for some advice on rebuilding parts of the dozer and if it will be useable.

I would like to use the dozer in the wood pulling out logs, possibly clearing an acre or so.

The good news is that the dozer is complete and I went through the motor and it runs really well. The dozer drives back and forth and all the gears seem to work, but the right side brake and clutch is frozen.

Both tracks are pretty work, measuring 24.125" across 5 pins- 23.5" is 100% worn according to the manual.

I could rebuild the two finals but my fear is that the tracks are too worn to stay on during use and would need new pins/bushings etc etc.

Am I being too paranoid about the crawler being a money pit that won't be much use?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:03 am

All of them can be money pits, so yours is no different that the rest of us. Rail height is good, and the rails have been rebushed in the past, but no reason they can't be rebushed again. No reason you can't fix it up unless you don't want to spend the money.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

mhaskell
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by mhaskell » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:59 am

Thanks for the feedback. How is the sprocket condition?

Have you seen many dozers that have welds on the trans case and the track support brackets?

Since the adjuster is almost all the way out should I remove a link in the track?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:41 pm

Sprockets are thin but useable, I would replace them if you rebush the tracks.
No real reason to remove a link unless you plan on running the tracks to destruction. You are already well past 100% worn, running them tight will just accelerate the wear more.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com