1963 JD 1010 Crawler (gas) - Water In Oil

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:29 pm

Just want to get it running for a few seconds then Ill fill up the cooling system.
I'm curious as to why you don't want to add coolant (water) to your engine before starting. John's comments about the potential for damage if the engine starts and runs sounds like a pretty big and potentially costly risk. I know that when I get an old dead engine to fire and run I get pretty excited and time passes quickly.
It would be a shame to have a mishap over a few gallons of water.

Good luck getting the electrics sorted out. Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

jd1010b
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by jd1010b » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:47 pm

Thanks for the links Tigerhaze, when I bought the 1010, it did not have a battery. Last night I connected the battery ground to positive. The tractor seemed to almost want to start. I need to wait for an extra set of hands and a fully charged battery to feather the choke and throttle, while I rotate the distributor while cranking the engine.

Hey Paul! Thanks man for reminding me to add coolant! I guess my reasoning is I want to at least get it started / prove that it starts, then I can add the coolant. If I add the coolant / water now, and there is a leak and water does get in the oil, I will need to pull the head. At least If I know if it starts, I will have a baseline, and pulling the head to fix the problem, wont seem too bad I guess, knowing that it is at least a running machine.
If I cant get it started, in the next few months, I might just decide to part it out, but that would be last resort, as it is a cool machine with allot of history around the mountain.
Thanks guys! I will keep everyone posted!

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:26 am

The 1010s were originally positive ground, so unless it was converted to negative ground (usually to install an alternator instead of the generator) it should be positive ground.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

jd1010b
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by jd1010b » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:32 pm

A few buddies came up to help me get the 1010 running. Turns out the fuel line was clogged in the fuel sediment bowl housing. It almost started. In trying to find #1 TDC, I stuck a wooden dowel in the spark plug hole. The end of it broke off and got stuck in the head. Now #1 has no compression. My buddy has a borescope. Hopefully it is just a stuck open valve, as opposed to a cracked piston / bent valve. It almost started, alllllllllllmost! :o)

jd1010b
40C crawler
40C crawler

New Addition! 2010 Backhoe, Hydraulic Issues, please help!

Post by jd1010b » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:08 am

Hi Everyone,
I have a new addition to the Deere family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I still have not gotten the 1010c Crawler running, however I just picked up a 2010 Backhoe / Loader (tractor / not crawler). I drove it a couple of miles home down the road and made it to the bottom of my mile-long driveway. I think it ran out of gas, however I noticed hydraulic fluid was pouring out of the front of the tractor towards the back of the front pto / hydraulic pump. My neighbor brought his Kubota loader / tractor over and we attempted to raise the front bucket so we could tow it up the mountain. With the engine off, and working the bucket controls, using the Kubotas bucket to try to lift the bucket. The front bucket would lower but not raise up. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

jd1010b
40C crawler
40C crawler

2010 front Hydraulic pump leaks

Post by jd1010b » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:57 am

I was able to get my 2010 running and lift the front bucket enough to block it up. My buddy brought his wrecker over and we winched it out and up the mountain. It starts up, but eventually cuts out under load. The front hydraulic pump is leaking somewhere near the back where the shaft connects into the pump. How difficult is it to remove the pump in the 2010? What could possibly be wrong with it? Thanks in advance.