Very slow hydraulics on 2010 track loader.

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
05victorylly
430 crawler
430 crawler

Very slow hydraulics on 2010 track loader.

Post by 05victorylly » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:17 pm

Hey there everyone im a new member and I just picked up a John Deere 2010 diesel track loader. I believe its a 65', i'll confirm tomorrow. It has the shift lever on the dash and the Forward H/L neutral and reverse lever on the floor.

I picked it up really cheap, like scrap value cheap. Its runs, drive and turns alright. Its a little rough, the right side steering clutch needs some adjustment, it has some blow by and the hydraulics are REALLY slow. It also turns over really slow even though its got a new battery so I am thinking it going to need battery cables.

Under carriage is in really nice shape for an old machine. Chain, idlers, sprockets and pins look surprisingly nice.

I have some experience adjusting the brake bands and steering clutches on the IH 500 dozer so as long as they are not out of adjustment that will be no problem.

My main question is regarding the painfully slow hydraulics. Is that likely a function of a failing pump? I'll make sure to check the fluid level and visually inspect everything in the morning, but everything looks really good. No leaks or seepage anywhere, all the cylinders are in great shape.

Thanks in advance for any advice, love this forum already. So much great info here.
IH 500 6-day dozer , JD 2010 track loader, Ford 1900 4x4

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:37 pm

as for slow cranking are you lifting the clutch disconnect on the floor? or starter could be dragging the armature or it could have a gas starter on it or as you said bad cables .... slow hydraulics. check oil filter there is an indicator on the hyd. tank left side ... hope you can put some pics up
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

jdemaris

Re: Very slow hydraulics on 2010 track loader.

Post by jdemaris » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:21 am

05victorylly wrote: My main question is regarding the painfully slow hydraulics. Is that likely a function of a failing pump? I'll make sure to check the fluid level and visually inspect everything in the morning, but everything looks really good. No leaks or seepage anywhere, all the cylinders are in great shape.
No, a worn pump does not cause that sort of problem assuming you've got the Cessna gear pump. When they wear, they blow out front seals and leak something awful. They don't wear and get slow.

You probably have a plugged suction filter. It often gets missed. There are two filters in the hydraulic tank. The return filter on top that often gets changed, and the metal suction filter at the bottom that is hidden under oil and often gets missed.

05victorylly
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by 05victorylly » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:09 pm

Ok well it turns out the only reason the hydraulics were slow is that the fluid level was low. Now they work at a good speed and have tons of power. Full bucket of dirt and rocks and lifts and curls quickly.

It is pretty hard to start. It has two heavy duty batteries that are brand new from NAPA but they cables look like they were cob jobded together. Starting the machine is difficult for two reasons first because it turns over very slowly and second because most of the time the when you turn the key nothing happens and then all of a sudden it will start turning over after like 15 key cycles. I need to get my tester and see if the problem is the key cylinder, wiring or the starter solenoid. I am guessing its the solenoid or wiring because even when the starter doesn't crank the electrical gauge jumps when I move the key all the way to start.

I'll attach some pictures in 5 min!!

05victorylly
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by 05victorylly » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:12 pm

jtrichard wrote:as for slow cranking are you lifting the clutch disconnect on the floor? or starter could be dragging the armature or it could have a gas starter on it or as you said bad cables .... slow hydraulics. check oil filter there is an indicator on the hyd. tank left side ... hope you can put some pics up
What is the deal with the clutch disconnect on the floor. I saw what i believe your talking about and was not sure what it was. What does it do? Is in on the left side where your foot is? When should I use it?

Thanks

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:24 pm

pull it up and latch it for starting it is a clutch that disconnects the trans for starting
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

05victorylly
430 crawler
430 crawler

Pictures!

Post by 05victorylly » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:24 pm