good and bad?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

good and bad?

Post by gus » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:31 pm

I finally got to push some snow. We had a foot over night and after it quit snowing I started the 420 and went at it. I cleared my drive way 1/2 mile and the neighbors, 1/4 mile. It worked very well....until...

As I did the final cleanup in front of my shop, it died. After running perfectly for 2 1/2 hrs, it died. It restarted fine and as I was pushing, it started couging and I pulled the choke and it came right back to life and ran.

It was choke on and it would run fine for a bit (choke on) then start coughing and blowing black smoke and choke off and it would run fine then after a bit, repeat.

It has to be carb, but what?? Float?? Plugged orfice?? It has clean tank and fuel and no sign of water. The 10% alcohol fuel loosen some crud?? I did put some fuel stabilizer in it.

mapaduke@yahoo.com
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by mapaduke@yahoo.com » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:31 pm

It dose sound like it sucked something in to the fuel system or the float could be sticking closed. Try disconnecting the fuel line to see if the gas flows good if it does then try hitting the side of the carburetor with the handle end of a large screwdriver while its running and see if it comes out of it? You may want to get a carb kit.
nothing crawles like a deere

DukeofDeere
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DukeofDeere » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:30 pm

Check the screen in the carb. Yes the one where the fuel line goes to the carb. May people don't know about this one. I have had many come in loaded.

Duke

Howard Yoder
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Howard Yoder » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:50 am

All good things to check but since it run for over 2 hours I would also check for something floating around in the fuel tank.

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Good and Bad

Post by gregjo1948 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:18 am

May be water.
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:26 am

I had one that got crud down in the sediment bowl assembly above the shut off valve. Pulled the vavle out, and all kinds of crud flushed out.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:43 pm

The one thing that makes it sound more like carb is that using the choke to keep it running works for a while, then it starts blowing black smoke and runs fine without the choke.

Another thing. One time it quit and it sat while I got some WD to lube the choke cable. If it was partly plugged it would have had time to get fuel to the carb while it sat. It did start after a few cranks with the choke pulled out.

If it ws out of fuel (pluigged at the tank) would the choke work?? The sediment bowl is perfectly clean and clear and no sign of either water or any kind of crud.

Things I did: Ran each needle all the way in and backed out to original setting (including fuel shut off valve). No change after this. I did put fuel stabilizer and added some fuel out of a part filled can to bring the tank up to full. All fuel use was the 10% alcohol stuff.

The tractor ran perfectly for almost 3 hrs then started this. It was a rough ride at times on the frozen ground and could have shaken some crud loose or a part loose??

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:09 pm

its definitely not getting enough fuel all the time ....start at the tank and start cleaning go all the way through the carb you may or may not need a carb kit i would start with a good cleaning sounds like you have some crap floating around in in the tank or carb or the lines
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:56 pm

I had a similar problem last year, and would like to offer for consideration what I found after tearing the carburetor apart twice, and checking the fuel lines, filter and tank without a fix.

It turned out to be water/condensation in the distributor shorting things out intermittently. I sprayed the points plate lightly with wd40, and the problem was solved. The problem acted like a fuel problem - when the machine sat it seemed that things would dry out and the crawler ran - some vibration, and more shorting occurred; let it sit and it would start and run for a bit.
Since you were working in a snowstorm and the heat of the engine could melt the snow, just maybe .... and the wd40 is an easy try, and can't hurt.

Good luck solving your problem. Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

DukeofDeere
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DukeofDeere » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:39 am

I had a similar situation with a neighbor who's carb I rebuilt.
Phone rings and same story. My tractor just died. I chock it and it starts, then stalls. Runs good for a minute or so and quits! I am getting an earfull for how I messed up his carb. So I quietly drive over and meet him by his tractor. He is busy explaining what is wrong and I just reached up and remove the gas cap and said have you looked in here??
Case closed.
You are dismissed.

Duke

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:00 pm

DukeofDeere wrote:I had a similar situation with a neighbor who's carb I rebuilt.
Phone rings and same story. My tractor just died. I chock it and it starts, then stalls. Runs good for a minute or so and quits! I am getting an earfull for how I messed up his carb. So I quietly drive over and meet him by his tractor. He is busy explaining what is wrong and I just reached up and remove the gas cap and said have you looked in here??
Case closed.
You are dismissed.

Duke

Tanks full.

I thought about moisture and I will check for it.

The tractors been sitting in my shop since I pushed snow (3 days). I'll be a little curious how it acts when I start up up again. It's been snowing lightly for a day and I might run it just to see if anythings changed.

At this point, I'm inclined to think a partly plugged screen or float problem. I might also remove the sediment bowl to see how the fuel flow is from the tank. When I rebuilt the tractor, the tank looked really clean but who knows what was hiding in a corner. The sediment bowl is perfectly clear with no sign of anything in in.

DukeofDeere
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DukeofDeere » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:03 pm

My story was just because we were on the subject of fuel opportunities.
I've had a full tank and a cap that doesn't breathe. Won't run either. Also small piece of crud in the tank and no go.
I do enjoy figuring out what is going amiss.

Happy wrenching,
Duke

Willyr
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Willyr » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:29 pm

Its just a hunch. When you were plowing. The sun was up. Yet when you got done the sun was now behind the trees? The temperature dropped and you started having problems?

When you run it during these cold times. Are you remembering to close the sides in? The open sides are great for summer operation. Yet most equipment really likes to have heat to run correctly. Having boards or some plastic to close off the sides will go along way in keeping the heat in, plus it may warm your feet too!
former owner of a 1956 420c
All help is greatly appreciated.

Proud owner of a project 1952 JD 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFehqXVd9z4