Jd 2010 gas

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
JDjoePA
40C crawler
40C crawler

Jd 2010 gas

Post by JDjoePA » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:58 pm

Well with info gained from forum I have tuned up set timimg with timing light checked wires to and fro and got the dang thing running pretty dang good also went ahead and got a gm alt mocked up to dispose of old generator,,,,YAY!!!! Now just have to wire the dang thing up . iT IS ALREADY 12VOLT so just have to do the switch from pos ground to the neg ground switch is there anything I should be aware of while doing the conversion? Like switching wires on the distrbutor?and coil?Also I rebuilt carb and have a 600rpm idle still seems high but any slower seems like it wants to shut down?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:34 pm

Be sure to change polarity on ammeter and coil.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

JD 2010 Gas

Post by gregjo1948 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:09 am

When I changed an 8N Ford over to 12 volt, I had to install a diode or it wouldn't shut down. It seems like you can also use a low wattage bulb. I think I robbed the diode out of an old GM alternator.gregjo1948
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:55 am

jdjoe,
mite i ask on your jd2010 gas....what for distributor do you have...i am
hving problem finding out whether mine is a prestolite...nameplate either not visible or gone...looking at top of shaft where rotor goes...mine has a
simple slant on it...it does not have like a keyway in the slant..i think it is
a prestolite cause delco has the keyway slant.
the other thing i wonder if my distr is turned with nameplate at backside
would that knock it out of time?? has been sitting for couple years and i
dont have all info as to what set it down....guts in distr are not connected just laying in there....dust cap i found in top track above sprocket!!!
trying to see if can get running b4 making offer! gas tank is apparenly gone as his buddy took it off to scrap yard???

JDjoePA
40C crawler
40C crawler

JD 2010 Gas

Post by JDjoePA » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:47 pm

Thanks for the replys gentelmen. A shout out to dtoots1 I have a prestolite 1 BT4101 R7G that is right of tag on the dist. I just replaced the cap rotor points condenser the rotor i used is a AL134 from napa the points are a car quest 50-3516 ,condenser50-1516, cap51-1529 as for the rotor this particular one fits flat on top of shaft, the key is not at ay angle and the metal tang inside the rotor fits in that key or cutout on top of dist. shaft, Yes, if dist was turned that far it would be 180 degrees of where the info tag on mine is . i would clean around locking clamp and bolt (1/2") and gently turn counterclockwise and see if that helps. Also the tag on mine is right where the cap clip is and the wire for the points comes through the body of the dist. is about the four oclock position I have checked on mine and cannot see any other id on outside of dist.Gap on points are 18-22 Timiming is at 26 on timing mark in little porthole to left of dist. #1 cyl. front of eng. with a timing light.Best OF LUCK!!!

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:25 am

ok....all of you guys are great....now for the rest of the story!!!

i went to machine and took the distributor clean off....and guess what..,.
this is the number 4 type of distributor!!!...it is an ELECTRIC AUTOLITE CO. DISTRIBUTOR.....presumably it is forerunner of prestolite..since they bought out electric autolite....there is NO nameplate whatsoever on this thing....the name is actually molded in the underside of the body.

i took it to my local jd dealer....electric shop...and they confirmed and even have the rotor and had them orde the points condensor since my flat copper wire that goes around the points spring was broken off short.
parts dept tried a prestolite set and found the points spring to be too long so we went to the electric shop and they have access to the parts...
shaft is a bit loose but electric shop said could make new bushing for about $75. that will wait for a bit., and it would be like new distributor. am waiting on parts now
one other thing is this does NOT have a felt...wonder if new points will have that on it??? old one dont and points actually in pretty good shape except for the broken flat wire..
as he will mail them...claims he would get in today. so hurry and wait for usps....($26 including mail -points, condensor, rotor)

anyone else have this kind of unit????
by the way i will try the napa rotor and yes carquest claims they can get the points condenser coil etc....so hope to get spares when needed, sooo much cheaper than Ma Deere

thks
dtoots1

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:23 pm

nuther follow up...

got my parts from ma deere...the second day after i visited them
by the way the $26. included $5.00 to ups to my home so price wasnt all
that bad!!!
when warmer will try to get er together for a fire up
we will see....