Need info please

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
rdobb
40C crawler
40C crawler

Need info please

Post by rdobb » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:31 pm

Just recently bought a 450c, just wanted to find out the year and any other common problems or strengths of the machine. Its my first dozer so I'm new to a lot of this. I will probably be hitting you guys up for some info possibly frequently, provided anyone is willing to help...ha ha. The serial number is T5F3M 057211T.

I would like to put a winch on it, even bought one off of a 540 skidder that a local John Deere mechanic said should work....but when I tried to order mounts they said the shafts wouldn't line up. So I'm already a $1500 dollar mistake in the hole on that part. I've worked it about 30 hours around the house and the right side steering has all but faded away. Plan on fixing that first of next week, just gotta get it torn down and see what the problem is.

Any help would be appreciated....I'll post pictures if anyone is interested.

Thanks in advance
Randy

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:17 pm

from what i can see in this http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... 15&start=0 ....the first digit should be a 1 , 2 or 3 if it is a 450C you need to double check your ser. number
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

rdobb
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by rdobb » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:55 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll double check the numbers, I think now its gonna turn out that I bought a B model as mine is a non turbo. Like I said I'm new to this and was going off of information about the models from folks that had them. So as a rule of thumb all C models are dry clutch turbo tractors....no such thing as a dry clutch C.

I ran the machine when I got it and it worked well and as it should...it also had a lot of new parts and wasn't coated in grease and oil. I'm not gonna cry too much if its a B, but it might still sting a little. Thanks again. Randy

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Winch

Post by JWB Contracting » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:27 pm

Post a picture of the winch, including the rear input shaft and serial / model number.

If it is a Deere winch it should work if it was off a 540 or 540A. The 540B has a different model of Deere winch so not sure on this model. I never really looked at the one on our 540B.

Does your crawler have an output shaft?
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

rdobb
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by rdobb » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:44 am

I will try and get some pictures of the winch and the tractor up later today if I can get my technical advisor out of bed....ha ha. She has been sick all weekend.

Also, the serial number plate under the seat is fairly legible and the number in my first post is accurate. So I guess i'll have to keep digging to find out what model it is exactly. Are the numbers anywhere else on the machine?

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:47 am

my guess would be 1967 450 assuming the ser# list in the early years does not use the 0 in front of the five digits??? :? :? :?
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

rdobb
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by rdobb » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:13 am

JWB, I can send you an email with the pictures attached. Otherwise i'm not sure if I can get them on here. The casting in the side says D T54608T 0. Let me know if you would like them.

JTRichard, that would mean its a straight 450 correct? Mine does have the hydraulic assist in the steering linkage, not that anything I was told prior to joining this site was correct. But I thought that would mean its at least a B. Maybe thinking has been my problem this far...ha ha.

Thanks randy

Jack-the-Ripper
430 crawler
430 crawler

Regrets?

Post by Jack-the-Ripper » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:36 am

First of all Randy, have no regrets, you have a real dozer to operate and work on, you've found this great group, and in my experience as owner of both a 450B and 450C, they both operate great once you get them "dialed in." (Defined in a prior post as spending more time operating than repairing!)

I bought my 450C with U-blade and rippers. The U-blade wasn't that good for snow berm plowing and got replaced with a straight blade, and I worked the dickens out of the machine for five years building a road on the face of a rock cliff before the tracks wore out and it developed an intermittent drive/steering problem that has yet to be fixed. I had looked into a winch from a JD skidder but there were mixed opinions whether it would work - I heard the drive shaft rotation might be opposite.

Unless you need the winch to pull multiple logs out of the woods in a professional production mode, or some other specific task, you might consider abandoning that idea and just reselling it. I also found that the winch I was looking at didn't have the adaptor plates needed to mount it to a 450, and THEY were really hard to come by at the time.

Meanwhile, being still young and foolish, I bought a 450B, for its winch and brush rake, from a logger. He did mention that the winch might be "a little weak" AFTER he had my cash. It drove just long enough to get it on and off the trailer, and far enough into the woods to be a pain to work on, and then wouldn't steer any more.

After weeks of work (perhaps I'm slow - I like to think I'm meticulous) I unstuck the clutch operating rods, replaced the brakes, added some grease tubes, and rebuilt the whole bottom end - tracks, idlers, sprockets, etc, AND the t-handle control for the blade. Even threw on a little paint as I went along, - AND installed a new winch cable. I logged my 60 acres and did lots of other pulling tasks with the 450C, and never needed a winch, always making do with my tie down chains. When I did finally attempt to use the B's winch it didn't have enough strength to do more than rewind its cable. I've yet to fix it. However the 450B now otherwise works smooth, sweet and reliably, and is as much a pleasure as the C. Yeah, I invested way too much money into it, but what would I have now if I had spent that money on a trip to Europe, or a cruise? Instead of my arms covered in grease, my fingers would be sticky from photo album glue, or I'd be on the Adkins diet!

As I recall, it seems like there is a list of serial number information on this site somewhere - maybe check the Forum Index page. Someone will point to it, I'm sure.

Have fun and keep us posted. It seems like we can't get enough of other's tractor adventures!

Ralph
JD450C (Jack the Ripper), JD450B (Jill the Wench), KomatsuPC120 (Ursa, The Big Dipper), Case580E (Ida Hoe), International 4400 Dump Truck