intermittant starting

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
ronnk
MC crawler
MC crawler

intermittant starting

Post by ronnk » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:45 pm

I have a 420c with an emotional problem. When she decides it is a non work day she takes it off. if I fiddle with the points it usually will start but then it could be the two way switch for the ignition. I want to believe it is the points. So does anyone have the NAPPA part number for the points? After it is running there is no issues just at start up. Also where can I find a new 5 or 6 way semi original main switch. Your prior help was graetly appreciated on the filters and oil and part numbers.

Ron
JD oldie but my newbie

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:43 pm

I stock ignition switches and tune up kits.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Howard Yoder
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Howard Yoder » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:08 pm

I have an mc that if the switch isn't just in the right spot it won't fire

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

intermittant starting

Post by gregjo1948 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:09 am

Either put a test light on the switch or hot wire around it to determine if that's your problem. Is there a chance of moisture in the distributor? Is the machine under cover? Could be crack in cap, bad condenser, bad points, plugs, wires, or the coil. I always start with these possabilities. They're easy to check and not too expensive to fix. gregjo1948
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

Willyr
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Willyr » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:46 am

Try changing your spark plugs lately? If you have Champions in there I would definitely change the plugs. I have had good results with NGK's myself.
former owner of a 1956 420c
All help is greatly appreciated.

Proud owner of a project 1952 JD 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFehqXVd9z4

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:58 am

I don't know if my sugesstions would apply to the distributor on a 420C but I have a 8N tractor and would assume it is somewhat similar.

Oftentimes intermittent starting problems will be the ignition switch or points (as previously mentioned). However the insulator on the distributor body for the small wire from the top of the coil through the distributor body to the points can also cause intermittent starting problems. It took me a while to figure that out on my 8N.

Also agree with the comment on Champions- we have had a number of discussions on this board about that subject and some swear by them but my opinion is that Autolites peform significantly better, especially with hard starting.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:27 pm

Tigerhaze wrote:I don't know if my sugesstions would apply to the distributor on a 420C but I have a 8N tractor and would assume it is somewhat similar.

Oftentimes intermittent starting problems will be the ignition switch or points (as previously mentioned). However the insulator on the distributor body for the small wire from the top of the coil through the distributor body to the points can also cause intermittent starting problems. It took me a while to figure that out on my 8N.

Also agree with the comment on Champions- we have had a number of discussions on this board about that subject and some swear by them but my opinion is that Autolites peform significantly better, especially with hard starting.
+1 on the insulator through the wall of the distributor. I have a friend with a Case tractor, I forget the model, it would start on some days and not start on others, once it was running it would start every time until it set overnight again then it might not start the next day.
I do not know how many sets of points and condensers he went through, before I was there wiring the lights on the new flat bed his dad and I built. It would not start, cranked fine but would not fire off, he said he had to run into town to get a set of points. I told him I would diagnose the problem. I checked the power at the points and had none, then checked the power at the bulkhead bolt and had power, I turned off the power to the coil and checked the connection through the bolt and had continuity, shimmed the points open and checked the power to ground and had a short to ground in the insulator. I took it apart and cleaned everything up, assembled it, and started the tractor.
It was setting outside running when he got back. I told him to get a new insulator for it and install it and the problem would go away.
A lot of people miss that step to check the insulator.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade
Tools are to men as shoes are to women , you can never have too many !!
Used diesel engines are an adventure any way you look at them !!