Looking at an MC, and I have some questions

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
nelstomlinson
430 crawler
430 crawler

Looking at an MC, and I have some questions

Post by nelstomlinson » Wed May 29, 2013 3:33 pm

I'm looking at buying a 1952 MC. It's old and ugly, and won't steer. When it last ran, it would go straight just fine. The left side steering lever moves a little, the right side lever doesn't move much. It's been converted to 12V by changing the original generator. It has a blade with it, and has new hydraulic hoses. I know the seller a little. He's honest, but might not be knowledgeable.

I live in a remote location, and this is the only machine in town, so if repairs require a parts machine, I'm probably going to be out of luck. If I can get parts mailed up in 50 pound boxes, shipping on parts will be pretty affordable.

My intent is to have a winter project, and wind up with a usable little tractor, maybe as soon as next summer. If I buy this, I'd like to put in new parts where necessary to make it a solid little workhorse for my little hobby homestead. I'll be using it push snow, do light landscaping, plow and disc a big garden, and so on. I'm looking for a 20 to 30hp machine, and this is right on the bottom end of that range.

Would parts be available for the steering brakes and clutches? How about the steering linkage (I'm worried about that stuck handle)? Are there any parts that I wouldn't be likely to be able to get? Could someone make a guess on the cost to do the most likely repairs to the steering mechanism? How about the worst case, in which I have to replace all the moving parts outboard of the differential on both sides?

Reading old threads here, I saw that 5 pins should span 23" if the tracks are new, and should span 23.5" if the tracks are completely worn out. Do I have that right? Are there any other track parts I should be checking for wear (and how?)? The drive sprockets seem to have nice teeth. If the undercarriage is pretty far gone, what might it cost me to get it back in good working order? Are there any parts that just aren't available?

Last question would be what's a reasonable price to pay for a project like this in your location (and where are you?)? I'm assuming that the engine needs a carb rebuild and a tuneup and not much else, but I'll check that assumption before I buy, of course.

I'm not too worried about the engine; I can figure out what shape that's in, I think. I enjoy working on old machines, but know very little about crawlers and old John Deeres. Having a reasonable project is one part of the attraction to this.

mapaduke@yahoo.com
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by mapaduke@yahoo.com » Wed May 29, 2013 5:09 pm

Well you found the right place. Theirs a lot of knowledge hear The owner of this sight will be able to help you with most of your parts needs. They have helped me through four crawler rebuilds and have started my fifth an 52 MC also. Steering clutches will run you around $1500 depending what's needed. I would plan on replacing all the oil seals also. Check for water in the transmission. It cost me $800 to replace pitted baring's in mine. The under carriage Is the big issue your stuck finding good used. I picked up a 40 a few years ago and paid $4000 for it in working condition with a winch. had to replace a couple rolls and right steering clutch about a year later. If you can take a few pitchers of the under carriage sprockets idlers and underside of the track and post them it will help us determine its condition
Hope this helps Ron
nothing crawles like a deere

nelstomlinson
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by nelstomlinson » Wed May 29, 2013 5:36 pm

That does help, Ron. Around $1,500+ for fixing the steering problems is a great start. Finding good used undercarriage parts is tough? There probably aren't any new undercarriage parts for these old beasts?

I don't have to be able to get my money back out of it. I figure I could be happy getting it working for cheaper than a new tractor or a modern used one that I would need a computer to work on. I hate having equipment I can't work on.

I'll try to get some pictures tonight or tomorrow, if I can swing by the yard where it's stored.

JimAnderson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

mc

Post by JimAnderson » Wed May 29, 2013 6:07 pm

If the MC you are looking at has not been upgraded then it will have
the three roller undercarrage.New bottom rollers are very hard to find
and expensive.The pins and bushings are,I believe,Deere only and
then you need someone to install them.You can't do that yourself
unless you have a track press.Crawlers are fun machines but can be
a lot of work to get functional.You may want look at something else
if you intend to use it often.A rubber tired machine in the thirty horse
range will be cheaper to aquire and maintain.Most will have 3pt hitches
which the MC does'nt.Chained up a rubber tired tracter will push snow
and be a lot more user friendly to work a garden with.There 's tons of
tractors made before computers and finding something that you can work on might be difficult where you live but a 60 year old crawler can
be a money pit.JMHO,Luck,JimAnderson