40c final drive assembly

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
AllenS
430 crawler
430 crawler

40c final drive assembly

Post by AllenS » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:51 am

I took off the final drive on my 40c. The axle shaft was worn where the outter bearing rode,. I welded it up and had a friend turn it down on his lathe. I will be using new cups and bearings on assembly.

The housing was cracked when I bought it, and someone had welded it up. I've noticed that the new inner bearing cup slides into position without any force and the outter cup requires very little force to be put into place.

Looking at all of this, my question is what actually holds the shaft assembly in place? I can imagine that if the inner cup was pressed into the housing, that the retainer would keep the shaft from sliding out, and that the large gear would stop it from sliding out all of the way because it would hit the inside of housing.

Am I missing something?

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:38 pm

the inner bearring cup slides in and is adjusted with the inner cap and shims ... there is a retainer on the innside end of the axel shaft and a retainer cap and seal holder on the outter end of the shaft look at your parts book it is pretty clear there
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper