440 final drives

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
crgenther
40C crawler
40C crawler

440 final drives

Post by crgenther » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:55 pm

I just pulled both final drives, and the left side had about a pint of oil in it and the clutch and break band was drenched in oil. This would probably explain why I could not turn to the right, or when pushing or going up hill it would turn to the left.
The inside of the right side was fairly dry, but the clutch and break are quite wet. This would probably explain why it would steer to the right okay after setting for a while, but after some use it to would slip when turning left.

I believe I will need to replace all clutch parts, and both break bands.
The oil leaking is gear oil, so does that mean that it is coming from the bottom of the final drives, or could it be coming from the transmission?

Any tips, advice, words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Curt

P.S. I once read on this board something about a tool made by a member for driving in the seals in the final drives.
Anyone know about this?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:18 pm

Unless you like pulling final drives, fix everything while you are in there, or you will just end up doing it over, and/or destroying the new parts you just put in.
Make sure to fix the source of the oil leak.
The tool was for installing the axles seal correctly over the axle, not driving it in the quill, that is the easy part.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

crgenther
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by crgenther » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:01 pm

Yes Lavoy, I was kind of thinking that way. This is the second machine I have pulled the final drives an, and while it was easier the second time, it wasn't any more fun.
I noticed on a previous visit to this site that you had a seal kit for sale.
does that have seals for both the axles and the ones behind the quills?

Does it stand to reason that since the oil in the final drive is gear oil that the axle seal failed?

there is a sleeve that the axle goes through before the quill. The one on the left is missing. Is that part available.

Also, I found a spring that looks very much like a valve spring on a cylinder head, in the space between the axles. have you ever heard of doing this for any reason.

New bolts holding the pressure plate down make me think that the clutches were gone through once before.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:41 am

Yes, it includes both seals. What you are referring to as the axle is the drive shaft, the axle is the one the sprocket bolts to.
Yes, the spring is supposed to be there, it keeps pressure on the drive shafts.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com