blade downpressure

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
57jd420
430 crawler
430 crawler

blade downpressure

Post by 57jd420 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:44 pm

so i got the crawler running FINALLY and everything seems to be working like it should, however i dont have hardly any down pressure on the blade. i have the latch down so that both linkages work together, but it seems like the blade is on float. do i need to flip the latch up so the linkage will be independent, or do i have a linkage adjustment issue? any help would be great.

i will post pics and a video later.
Home of the free because of the BRAVE!!!

1957 420 5 roller 5 speed

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:04 am

Latch is on the locked position for two way hyd, unlocked for float position. Make sure the linkage is tight, and no real slop in the whole assembly. Watch the pistons in the valve, and see if they both move together and at the same time, sometimes all that is needed is an adjustment.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

btilghman
MC crawler
MC crawler

Blade down pressure

Post by btilghman » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:36 am

Had to smile when I saw your post. New to crawlers, I thought my MC wasn't capable of down pressure until one day, when distracted, I held the blade lever back and noticed the front of the tractor starting to rise. Turns out there is so much play in the linkage and the hydraulics are so slow..............
1952 MC with toolbar and blade, pulley, and PTO.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:06 am

Shouldn't be that slow unless you have the tool carrier, then they are slower.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

btilghman
MC crawler
MC crawler

Slow blade

Post by btilghman » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:24 pm

I do have a tool carrier. Had wondered if something was not quite right.

Thanks, Lavoy
1952 MC with toolbar and blade, pulley, and PTO.

leadfoot1954
MC crawler
MC crawler

slow blade movement

Post by leadfoot1954 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:15 pm

On my dad's 420 he has a model 61 blade(single lift cylinder)with one control valve.His blade was also slow up+down with barely any down pressure.On the the left side of control valve body there is a valving plug, needs an Allen key to turn.By tighting it(turning Clockwise)about 1/4 turn it allows more fluid to valves and lift cylinder;much faster response and enough down pressure to easily lift front of machine off ground.I don't know if this will help you but it sure amazed my dad!
Grandad let me operate his nearly new JD'440' crawler when I was 13yrs young,been hooked eversince

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:06 am

My blade is also slow this way, however, it completely stopped working at one point and I realized the system was full of air. It always showed a little low on hydraulic oil and I ignored it, apparently the level got low enough for air to get pumped into the cylinders, displacing some oil so it did not look like it was running out of oil.

Anyways, now I check the hydraulic oil before starting the engine and keep it at the full mark. Once the air got worked out of the system the response improved quite a bit.