Custom 3 pt build

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Custom 3 pt build

Post by gus » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:11 pm

I have posted this before, but I did an album showing all the steps to take a wheel tractor (40 standard) 3 pt and make it work on a crawler. Not as strongly built as a factory unit, but it works for the stuff I will use it for. I prefer the cylinder under the seat as opposed to having it beside me. Makes a cleaner unit (but much harder to build).

photo bucket and I don't get along and the photos are not in order, sorry but I tried several times and just gave up.

monzanick
430 crawler
430 crawler

THATS FREAKIN SWEET!!!

Post by monzanick » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:11 pm

Dude, I am totally gonna copy that. I assume you are gonna have a separate valve for the hydraulics?
1950 mc crawling around

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Re: THATS FREAKIN SWEET!!!

Post by gus » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:28 pm

monzanick wrote:Dude, I am totally gonna copy that. I assume you are gonna have a separate valve for the hydraulics?
I have a 5 spool valve. 3 for the 6way blade, one for the 3 pt and 1 for a back outlet/aux. You do want a float position for the 3 pt if possible.

NOTE THIS:
2nd photo old unit. There are 2 pieces laying to the right. They are what the original cylinder pushed to operate the 3 pt. I cut the finger off and lathe turned them to the same outer diameter and put them in a Shelby tube and welded them together (this MUST be on the shaft when you do this). That is the large part shown in the center of the shaft in the first photo (this assembly is splined, note the smaller diam of the shaft to the right). This piece has to be inserted in the housing and the shaft pushed through it.

4th photo shows the new mount in place on the tractor. Look closely through the mounting hole and you will see the 2 plates inside for the cylinder rod to attach to. They are welded on that center piece. The position they are welded on is CRITICAL. Position the lift arms at their highest point and figure the operating cylinders full stroke.....that's where they weld on. (there is no adjustment as the splined shaft cannot be indexed, it only fits one way)

I drilled and tapped every place there was a bushing in the old housing and inserted grease fittings.

The arm attachments mount to the front of the final like the originals and are also held on the draw bar but with a slightly over sized hole to make sure the pull is from the front

I hope this helps. I spent near a month part time figuring it out and getting it to fit.

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:30 pm

I added a couple more photos I found.