hydraulic transmission oil for 1010

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Alski
MC crawler
MC crawler

hydraulic transmission oil for 1010

Post by Alski » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:51 pm

Was wondering what type would be best and how much hydraulic oil in the clutch for a 1962 1010? It just grinded to a halt, I gave a power wash and found the dip stick for the clutch, mid engine. I don't know how long it has been low or when any one ever put any in there. Previous owner gave me the impression that the tank on the side fed all parts of the dozer the hydraulic fluid, obviously not. The tank seems to be exclusive for lift cylinders for the blade. The dip stick by the feet, is that for the transmission, it is more than full, should that be gear oil or hydraulic fluid? Will over fill harm it, that is the way I have found it.

whiteclipse16
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by whiteclipse16 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:09 am

I don't want to give you a definite answer because I'm not sure if you're talking about the transmission or reverser.
The reverser takes Hygard. It's dipstick is in front of your right foot.

If it came to a halt, you might check the filter on the reverser. My grandpa's did the same thing and we took the filter out and it looked bad, possibly the original filter. We think that was the culprit but haven't got it running yet to find out.
Ben

Great Grandpa's 1960 440ICD 602 blade
Between SN's: 455,633 - 456,801
Currently Rebuilding/Restoring

Alski
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Alski » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:53 am

I have to confess quite new to this type of machine. I only have the parts list manual to work with. Starting at the front there is the engine oil dip stick for the motor oil (what type -?) The newest to find on the dozer is the next in line coming back about mid way looks like could be the reverser using the parts manual to determine, that was dry and the dozer had been moving intermittent for a couple of days without knowing why. So obviously there needed to be oil in this part cause I put some hydraulic in and then it would move, just not sure as to type and amount. Moving back along the machine to where I sit, just under the left brake, is a dip stick, I assume that this is the transmission, it is way over the fill line, amber in colour. The next spot is a tank on the right side about shoulder high, that seems to feed the cylinders for the blade. I was told that had to be kept filled cause it fed all hydraulic machinery on the dozer, obliviously not cause the mid section (reverser-?) was dry. Any and all help appreciated. Would like to buy a service manual or perhaps a owners manual to get some basic information on how often to change oil, type. I hope I have found all the grease fittings. I was told not to put grease in the mid section of the track cause that would cause it to tighten up, is that true and how tight should it be, cause it looks loose to me. Thanks again whiteclipse16, would the filter be on the left side going into the reverser (appears that way on parts manual)? What type of filter went in there? Every time I ask at the dealer they say your part is obsolete, and I can't seem to get much help there, cause they always ask if machine is farm or construction. From what I can tell from this website the 1010 could have been either, depending on the paint colour.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:38 am

The case between the engine and transmission is the reverser, use Hygard or equivalent. Trans should be 80W-90 gear lube, hyd reservoir is just plain hyd fluid.
It appears you have one of the lazy dealers I get so many complaints about. For that type of dealer, never mention what type of machine it is, model number or anything. Just give them a part number, that is all they are smart enough to do if that.
I would recommend getting a factory service manual in addition to the parts book.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

whiteclipse16
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by whiteclipse16 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:11 am

Our reverser filter went in on the right side (same side as the dipstick) (right side if you're sitting on the machine).
I think they may have put different filters in depending on the year of the machine. Ours was a cartridge style. Search on here for 1010 filter numbers and you'll find the NAPA numbers. Get them there instead of at Deere.
Ben

Great Grandpa's 1960 440ICD 602 blade
Between SN's: 455,633 - 456,801
Currently Rebuilding/Restoring