2010 crawler loader

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
jd gascap
40C crawler
40C crawler

2010 crawler loader

Post by jd gascap » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:43 pm

I have been looking for a dozer to use on fence rows and a coworker said he has a 2010 gas crawler loader he doesn't need. long story shorter it has not ran for 6+yrs. It was shedded till a year ago when he needed the space, he tried to start it but mice had been there. He got it to spin over but it had no compression to pull in the gas, He thinks its the rings are stuck. I looked in and there is no antifreeze now. he said there was last year when he tried it. It is in good shape otherwise from bucket to the rear weights. If it would run it would need clutches? from sitting so long. He said no problem with reverser. Sprockets and track are maybe 40 /o. ? Is what he thinks true or if its bad engine can they be rebuilt? Or do I run. He wants $2000. or could it be parted out for that? Thank you for any expertise. gascap

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:24 pm

pull oil pan plug see if you get water at first if so see how much if only a few drops put plug back in and top oil level off... there should a water drain on left front of engine see if there is any coolant there if every thing looks good so far fill rad with antifreeze pull spark plugs squirt a few shots of trans fluid (dextron) in each hole with a oil can put plugs back in ...on the left foot rest there should be a rod about 1/4" pull that up and latch it...then try to crank it over give her a shot of starting fluid and see if she will fire... as for clutches see what works after you get her running.. yes should part out for what you can pick it up for and it would go across a scale for that much but we ALL would hate to see that
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

Howard Yoder
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Howard Yoder » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:28 pm

Take the valve cover off and check to see if any of the valves are stuck

jd gascap
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by jd gascap » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:20 pm

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.engine is my real concern. Im sure I'll have other questions if this goes through. Thank you again.

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:43 am

Search "2010". There have been quite a few discussions/opinions on them.
JMO: Many tout their power and like them, and many have commented on the relative scarcity and price of repair parts. If you have the time, money, skills and inclination to take on this project, you'll have a fun machine. The undercarriage will be pricey to upgrade. The price you quoted seems high to me considering the unknowns.

Good luck going forward and best wishes. Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:14 pm

I think Paul hit the nail on the head about the 2010s- I love the size and power of my 2010s but the issue is scarcity and cost of certain parts, particularly for the diesel engine and undercarriage.

The engine parts should be available, and since it is gas Lavoy may even be able to help out with them. Undercarriage parts availability and cost is tougher, especially if the sprockets or front idlers are trashed (those are NLA from Deere and neither are readily available except in already worn condition).

If the track links are trashed, your options are going to be dictated by serial number range- early 2010s used same tracks as the 1010 (however different number of links) and late 2010s used the same links as 350 (again, differing number of links).1010/early 2010 track links are NLA so would need to find a good used set. You can switch from early to late 2010 sprockets to use the 350 tracks, but good luck finding a decent set of those (let me know if you do ;) )

Having said that, you would not be gambling too much because as already said the scrap price is close to that and parting it out could actually come out slightly in the black depending on the configuration. It is more about whether you have the time to troubleshoot it and whether it is worth the hassle to you to try. If you are wanting to do fencerows sooner than later, I personally would not gamble on a non-running machine.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment