Broke the clutch pedal on the 420C

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
BigV
420 crawler
420 crawler

Broke the clutch pedal on the 420C

Post by BigV » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:00 pm

Somehow, after 55 years, I managed to break the clutch pedal. I had sprayed PB Blaster on the shafts that the brakes and clutch ride on, and I was working the crawler, driving it back and forth. Well, I forcefully applied the clutch when the tractor got a bit ahead of me, and the cast pedal popped off.

The clutch and brakes had not yet freed up, so I was able to apply the brakes and get it out of gear without too much jackassery.

I keep trying to remind myself that the tractor is 55 years old, and that things are going to break.

I found a spare Harley brake pedal, and I started to make a bushing to fit inside it so I could put that pedal on, but the more I thought of it, the more I decided to see if I could find a newer John Deere part that might fit.

I realize the BOL, 40, 420 440 1010 were all related but is there another newer model I might be able to order a clutch pedal for and make work ? My suspicion is that the answer is no, as the 2 cylinder gas John Deeres were all their own animal.

I have about every manual machine tool you can have, so the tools to do the job is not a big concern for me.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:37 am

Original pedals are not hard to find, I should have a few on hand.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

DukeofDeere
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DukeofDeere » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:39 am

I would just purchase a used pedal from a salvaged machine.
What model do you have?

Duke

BigV
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by BigV » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:18 pm

Two Things:
(1) How the heck do I disassemble the linkage to put on another clutch pedal ?
(2)Is a parts(-) condition crawler worth $400 ?

(1) My service manual says to see the Model 40 service manual to service the center section and the clutch linkage. I don't have that part of the manual. I have ordered a model 40 manual. In the mean time, can someone explain how to disassemble the clutch and brake linkage so I can fix my crawler temporarily ?

The clutch pedal broke at the spot where the bolt that tightens it is. I have welded and brazed it back. I need to use the dozer though right now, hopefully Lavoy may have a clutch pedal, but I gotta use the one I've got.

Item (2)
I spoke to an older gentleman who collects vintage American tractors.

He had just purchased a John Deere 420 wheel tractor, and he had told me he was planning on using the wheel tractor to restore his 420C. He decided the wheel tractor is too nice, and he's giving up on the 420C. He has other, much nicer crawlers instead.

The 420C he has is a forgotten parts machine basically, someone started to restore it, found out the block was cracked, and abandoned it.

The tracks are off of it, they were a little loose on it, from what I can tell, as they are kind of "kinked". However, the track pads look like new, except really rusty. They are off, and a link has been removed from each one so that they aren't a donut, instead they're laid out flat. The chain looks good, the links and the pins look pretty good.

The motor is all there but it is completely rusted up and gone. Most of the sheetmetal is AWOL. The square steering clutch adjustment covers were left off, so even though everything is there, the steering handles are rusted solid.

The sprockets look like new. The differential looks like new.

Everything is there except for (1) a seat, (2) radiator and (3) the engine is shot to shit.

It's disassembled, it is very rough looking, and everything is rusty. It does have a lot of parts on it, not nice looking parts, but they're usable.

He wants $400, delivered and unloaded at the farm.

Thoughts ?
Last edited by BigV on Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Willyr
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Willyr » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:24 pm

$400 is a fair price for a basket parts machine. Especially if he wants to deliver it.
former owner of a 1956 420c
All help is greatly appreciated.

Proud owner of a project 1952 JD 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFehqXVd9z4

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:25 am

Buy it, buy it fast!!!!!!!!!!
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com