Further problems with my left hand side brake/clutch

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
BigV
420 crawler
420 crawler

Further problems with my left hand side brake/clutch

Post by BigV » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:46 pm

Time freed itself up today.

I documented with video what is going on. I think it was Gregjo who warned me that the brake band was bad out of adjustment with the nasty popping sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fDDXIPj30g

Thoughts ?

That round "nut" with slots is the brake band adjusting nut right ?

With that said, are any of the repairs I'm going to need to do on the left hand side steering going to be any easier if I split the track and break open the final drive on the left ?

Thank you.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:29 pm

Yes, clicking is because the steering lever is coming back too far. Judging by the amount of thread sticking out of the brake adjusting nut (round with slots) I am guessing you are out of adjustment, or close to it.
All in all, I think you are better off pulling the final drive and seeing what all you find in there.
BTW, do you still need a clutch pedal? I quit looking, I thought you had gotten a parts crawler and no longer needed it. If you do, let me know, I will look for one.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

further problems with my left hand side brake/clutch

Post by gregjo1948 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:41 am

I think the popping sound is the clutch ballbearings coming out of their sockets due to the extensive travel when pulling the turn lever. I don't remember if your model has the adjustment that you do thru the round inspection hole. Lavoy will know. gregjo1948
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford