Questions About New "Toy" (Drott Go Devil Crane)

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Questions About New "Toy" (Drott Go Devil Crane)

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:47 am

Good morning-

I recently purchased a new toy (Drott Go Devil carry deck crane). It is Model 160RF2 (16,000 pound capacity). I know some basic information on it but not any specifics. I did some simple Google searches and didn't come up with a whole lot on them.

I was wondering if anyone on here knows much about sources of Drott information because they also produced the MP buckets for Deere. In particular I was wondering if there are any Drott-specific sources of literature such as owner's manuals, service manuals, specs, load tables, etc other than randomly finding them on Epay. I also saw online somehwere that Drott was bought out by Case and then spun off to another company but wasn't clear on that so anything additional on that would be useful as well. I do plan to puruse the YT tractor website but wanted to start here first because of the Drott connection to Deere machines.

Thanks in advance-
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

BigV
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by BigV » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:26 am

I've seen the Drott badged cranes with model years up to the early 90's.

There is a Case Construction dealer in Atlanta that I know for sure orders parts and services them.

I wish I had bought the one I had the opportunity to buy. Would have been a lot better than the Gantry I'm fooling with building now.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:52 am

Thanks BigV- I am pretty excited to have purchased this one. I can actually think of a number of uses for it such as lifting trusses for my new machine sheds, lifting logs onto my logging trailer, maybe putting a man basket on it (although i will want to research that more closely first), and even picking up the ends of my crawler or wheel loader when they throw a track or get a flat ;)

The previous owner used it in a heavy duty truck tractor salvage yard and he said he never really picked anything larger than 4 tons with it so doesn't seem to be abused. His main issue was speed- he could lift things much faster with his all terrain forklifts than the crane but I am using it for farm use so speed isn't too much an issue for me.

Since it works OK right now, I am mainly loking for the manuals so I will try my Case dealer but I understand they may have spun it off to another firm so I guess I will find out that one.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:21 pm

tiger all this talk about it and NO PICS? :( :(
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:45 pm

I know, I know :lol:

I just bought it so hadn't had time to post some up to Photobucket but will try to do so soon. I guess when i do that I can also post up the photos of the AC TL-14A wheel loader I bought that I never posted up either :wink:

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:31 pm

As requested, here are two pics of the crane:

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:22 pm

Man, would that be a handy outfit!
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

johnHD
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by johnHD » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:57 pm

my buddy has a similar unit in his gravel pit. i think it is a grove.

pretty handy device to set up his crusher or anything else.

john

shinnery
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by shinnery » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:43 pm

Ought to be handy for working on that pherd.
Bryce
:lol:
No trees were hurt in the creation of this message.
But, many electrons were terribly bothered.

440IC/602, 2-440ICD/831 MM UBU-LP, 445N-LP, 445E-LP, BIG MO 400-M, 4 Star-LP M5-D, M5-LP, M602-LP, M670-LP, G900-LP, G900-D, G1000 Vista-LP Case 580CK

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:46 pm

Update:

I thought I would let others know what I have found out so if someone else goes through this they know where to look.

The ownership of the Drott cranes has gone through a lot of corporations' hands; first Drott, then JI Case, then Marine Travellift/Shuttlelift, and finally MT/S in a partnership with Manitowic Crane Group.

In my research trying to track down Drott crane literature was a dead-end with Marine Travellift/Shuttlelift and Manitowic or anyone else for that matter. I did find at one online store not associated with MT/S the manuals for the 85RM2 but they were priced outrageous (although they did have the parts manual I could not find elsewhere). The Drott 250 and larger cranes were hidden under the "Travelift" name.

Case New Holland (CNH) has a literature website, similar to the JD manuals website, and I was able to locate a service manual for the Drott 160RF2 carrydeck crane. They also had a service manual and operator's manual for the Drott 85RM2, a similar but smaller model.

I contacted CNH (could not get their online ordering to work) and they said the manuals I wanted were in their "archive" warehouse but they could still print them- they are apparently "print on demand" and I now have them on the way after a week's lead time.

FYI, they also have quite a few other Drott manuals such as for their cranes and excavators so that is where I would recommend looking if in need of Drott literature as I struck out basically everywhere else. If you want to search on the CNH site, just put "Drott" on the keyword search at the top left of this link:

http://www.dmcretail.com/case/Default.aspx

I did not see their 4 in 1 buckets here but didn't specifically look that hard; I found that the website can "hide" certain manuals unless you do an exact search. For instance I did not find the service manual for the 160RF2 by searching for that ID; I found it by typing "Drott". Conversely, the Drott 85RM2 manuals could only be found by entering "85RM2" because Drott was not in the description. The Drott 250 and larger cranes were grouped with the "Travelift" cranes.