MC 1000 tool carrier cylinder

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
sleepyhollow
MC crawler
MC crawler

MC 1000 tool carrier cylinder

Post by sleepyhollow » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:20 am

Hi, I am in need of some help regarding an integral cylinder for a MC 1000 tool carrier. Oil is leaking out of the inside and outside lift shaft. The O-rings appear to be OK. The gasket that covers the O-rings are home made. Does anyone know the proper gasket material and gasket size? Can the lift shaft be removed without taking cylinder apart? Any advice is appreciated.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:42 am

Gasket is irrelevant, don't worry about it. Replace the O-rings with new ones, and put in new rubber backups instead of the old leather ones. The small end of the shaft, I put a backup on each side of the o-ring.
Yes, you can take the shaft out, be careful to get indexed correctly when you put it back in.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

sleepyhollow
MC crawler
MC crawler

MC tool carrier integral cylinder

Post by sleepyhollow » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:21 pm

Thanks for the tip on the O-rings Lavoy, I am having trouble removing the lift shaft. I can hear the arm inside hitting the cylinder wall when tapping on end of the shaft. Is it usually difficult to slide it through the spline? What have you used. The cylinder worked fine other than leaking oil through the O-ring. I have access to a hyd. press but will wait to see what you have to offer. Thanks

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:23 am

Usually they take some persuasion, some times a lot of persuasion. I have been able to get them out on the crawler several times, but did have one that took a press to remove. Keep trying, it might go. Get a sacrificial bolt and thread back in the inside til it bottoms. Hit on the bolt while prying on the outside of the shaft and see if that does it.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com