440IC Dealing with broken link?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:19 pm

the master you pulled looks great you just need the clip for it the (other master) is either way to small as you said or the bushing it shot ... the sprocket looks great .... most track shops use square nuts so who knows what was done with those links... and you can NEVER have too many photos
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

NEpilot
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by NEpilot » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:50 pm

I popped the clip off the 2nd master-pin and it tapped out with a mallet. The OD of the pin in the middle is 0.984" and the ID of the bushing is 1.024" so it seems the bushing is OK while the pin is trashed.

I'm sticking to the plan of welding the broken link and bushing, repairing the front most roller, and putting it back together.

SO I do need to get one master pin and a couple clips.

John Deere 440IC

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:57 pm

yes you need a new master and 2 clips BUT the bushing is NOT supposed to fall out like that it should press in ... hoe is the bore in the outer link where the master rides?
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

NEpilot
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by NEpilot » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:31 pm

jtrichard wrote:yes you need a new master and 2 clips BUT the bushing is NOT supposed to fall out like that it should press in ... hoe is the bore in the outer link where the master rides?
I didn't think that was supposed to happen :(

ID of LINK = 1.578"
OD of BUSHING = 1.563"

Unsure of best way to deal with this issue as I have ZERO experience with crawlers. Thinking out loud; would it be reasonable to build up the ends of the bushing with weld, chuck them in a lathe and turn down leaving a couple 10th's for a interference fit in the link ID?

Link ID -

John Deere 440IC

Gil
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Gil » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:36 pm

Yes, more pictures are always good!
One comment though. If the pictures are too large they expand the width of the frame displayed on the screen, including the message text. People with wide format screens won't see a problem but people with smaller screens or screen rotated into portrait mode may have some of the frame off screen. Then they will have to scroll over to read the end of a line of text and then scroll back over to read the beginning of the next line. It affects the text on the whole page.
The first picture you posted of the master pin still on the crawler may have been too wide (1280X960) for some screens. You might want to go back to resize it to say 800 or 1000 maximum width versus 1280.

If I understood your post, you have two master pins on one track. You said that some of the pads and links look different in one area. You may find that the track was so bad that a previous owner cut out a section of the track and replaced it with a section of a different track using a second master pin to attach the new section. If this is the case you have different pieces of chain with different rail wear, different bushing wear, and different dimensions between pins, etc. Gil
JD440-ICD loader; JD440-IC bulldozer; JD440-ICD backhoe; JD440-I backhoe; JD440-I tractor; + five recumbent JD440-ICs

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:57 am

Bushing are extremely hard, when you weld on them, they will likely crystallize and crack when the weld cools and draws. Also, where the weld blends with the base material, it will be so hard that it will be difficult to impossible to machine unless you grind it.
If I had the rails here, I can repair the link and press a new bushing in, but no good way I can come up with to repair the problem without a track press.
I could rebush your rails and repair any damage, but give then overall condition of your rails, I'm not sure that would be the sensible thing to do.
On another note, I see several of your pads are loose. This will contribute to the loose bushing problem you are seeing to a certain degree. Cut off all the loose pads and put in new bolts if you are going to continue to run these rails.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com