440 icd reverser adjsutments help help

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
frozendozer
430 crawler
430 crawler

440 icd reverser adjsutments help help

Post by frozendozer » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:38 pm

i am trying to adjsut the reverser on my 440 icd and I am having some problems understanding the directions in the manual i have

do i first adjust the rear clutch pack, that is on the same side as the lever?

When I adjust this clutch pack to get the desired 20 to 25 pounds of pull the front clutch adjustment has no room to move and now the lever does not go forward enough to engage

I am thinking that i should start this process from the very start, by backing everything off. When I started the process the lever would move about 60 degree, to move the reverse from forward to reverse and visa versa. The lever is the distance from the front panel as instructed in the manual.

as a side note, i can reach into the holes with my fingers and depress the pin and move the adjustment ring. I am not saying it's sloppy, or spins easy. its just possible to move it

Gil
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Gil » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:58 am

You adjust the rear clutch first through the two inch drum plug hole on the right side of the reverser. The right side is the driver's right hand side if sitting in the seat. The direction reverser handle is usually on the left hand side of the crawler but it can be relocated to the right side if it interferes with other control levers or equipment.

If you have adjusted it to some unknown place, I would go back to square one and adjust the rear ring clutch but to much less than the 25-35 pounds in the manual. Then go to the other side and loosely adjust the front ring to the point you have some action when you move the arm. Then go back and start adjusting correctly for the rear clutch again.

The midpoint position of the lever is usually straight up and down. It is sometimes hard to determine a "neutral" position until the direction reverser is reasonably close to being correctly adjusted. I am not certain what you are referring to about having the lever the proper distance from the front panel?

Be sure to block the engine clutch pedal with a 2X4 etc. when mentioned in the instructions. Once you have custom cut a board, I write on it with a magic marker and keep it with my other professional John Deere 440 shop tools. Gil
JD440-ICD loader; JD440-IC bulldozer; JD440-ICD backhoe; JD440-I backhoe; JD440-I tractor; + five recumbent JD440-ICs

frozendozer
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by frozendozer » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:06 pm

thanks Gill

I will give it a try today,

In regards to the handle being in the right position from the dash panel. The manual I have shows the lever should be 2" to 2 1/2" past the dash panel when the lever is in reverse.

I forgot to block the clutch pedal, I will read and follow the instruction with more attention to detail.