Considering buying a JD 40C. Looking for advice

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
asylum
MC crawler
MC crawler

Considering buying a JD 40C. Looking for advice

Post by asylum » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:24 am

I know someone selling a 40C. This is the first year production, so it is has 3 rollers. It currently is not running, but supposedly it did not long ago. The sprockets look good. I have never owned one of these and am not sure if his asking price is a good price and if restoring one of these is worth the effort and cost. The crawler appears to be complete, but does need some parts (muffler, seat, etc). This one has a blade on it too.

I would appreciate any advice from the experts, to include what a fair price would be based upon my limited description of it.

Thanks

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:11 pm

Welcome to the board.

One of the most important things that you need to tell us to give an opinion is what are your intended purposes for the crawler. Is it truly to fully restore as a showpiece, or something you want to actually use? Restoration means different things to different people, and it wasn't clear if you want to actually create a showpiece or more of a mild restoration that is also put to use.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:50 pm

Check, double check, then triple check the bottom rollers. 3 roller crawlers are very hard on undercarriage, much, much worse if not greased liberally daily.
As far as worth it, depends on what worth it means to you. If you are doing a true restoration, and worth it means it will be worth what you put in it, don't bother, can't be done. I would even go so far as to say if that thought enters into your head at all, don't bother.
If by worth it you mean is it a truly enjoyable time restoring, fixing, using, owning, etc., and you are wise enough to place value on that, value on any and all work it does for you, that is a completely different story.
The thing I hear most often is, " I bought it for $3000, and put $5000 in parts in it, so it should be worth $9,000 or more if I want to get paid for my labor too." Guess what, not going to happen. An average $100 bill is worth $100. If you spend $800 having a custom made frame to display it in, it is till worth $100, you can't expect someone to pay you more based on what you have in it.
The last thing I would add is if you intend to use the crawler as a blade crawler to any extent at all, look for a 4 or 5 roller, skip the 3 roller.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com