Anyone into wind power? New concept close to home.........

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Anyone into wind power? New concept close to home.........

Post by Scottyb » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:42 am

Glen Lux, our good friend, retired road builder, engineer, and inventor, has built another amazing wind turbine.
His designs, and, built with his own hands. This sophisticated yet sensible concept could take over the worlds future wind generating needs. Far cheaper to build than huge towers with generators at the top, glens proven concepts require no tower, and, the generators sit on the ground. Just a few blocks from our home he has combined his engineering education with a passion, as well as his heavy equipment and road construction know how, to assemble this new larger prototype of the generator of the future. Similar to his previous models, improvements have won him international awards and recognition. Walking around the compound are the stacks of used blades from previous concepts as Glen made numerous improvements and tested multiple options in pursuit of the most efficient and reliable designs. His computer shows instant readings on a dozen or so critical measurements from wind speed and rpm, to power produced,and efficiencies in the drive system. From his modest control room,he can keep watch over the turbine and monitor the data on his laptop. Turning this day, at a constant speed (in the video) of 28 rpm, it runs up to 40rpm on heavy winds and will handle multiple generators on the one turbine. For now, One generator and extra brakes are required to keep it from spinning out of control in big winds. Down the road, more generators will keep the speed in check and convert all the excess energy into power.

The crane in the picks and videos is not needed to operate the turbine but, necessary to raise and lower it for making adjustments or changing blades etc. Having previously hired a portable crane for this purpose, Glen built this one to save the expense of having one come every time a change was made.

ImageImage

Glen removes the drive system to test a new concept. The new drive is installed in the videos..

The next two are videos, just click on the image.

ImageImageoops, cant figure out how to flip this video upright??

more at.....http://luxwindpower.com/

Scott
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

JimAnderson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Wind generator

Post by JimAnderson » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:44 am

Amazing piece for self made.I hate to say this but from what I see it
is the same vertical axis wind mill NASA LaRC tested in the early 80's.
Efficient because is captures wind from any direction,but needs something to get it turning.Non self starting.Needs to have some way
to brake the rotor to prevent overspeeding.If the brakes fail during high wind conditions then things get dangerous and interesting real fast.
If further information is wanted on this design I'm sure NASA Larc has
the research data on file somewhere.Luck,JimAnderson

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:52 pm

Tumac irrigation corporation had this exact design in the late 70's to early 80's, and abandoned it due I would guess for the same reasons Jim listed if not others.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:30 pm

Glen did not invent vertical axis wind turbines, however, as you will see in the link below there has been many before him who have tried to get a commercially successful turbine on the market.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=vertical ... 75#imgdii=_

In my intro I stated...

"Improvements have won him international awards and recognition"

I did not intend to suggest he came up with the idea.

Extensive design and testing has earned him his place on the world stage.

Recently back from New York City, Glen was presented first place in
NASA's Sustainable Technologies Category Winner.

I see it like McDonald's. They did not invent the hamburger, they just figured out how to make it work.

He does it for the challenge, selling his iron gave him the money.
backhoe attachment.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:05 pm

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood, I was just going by what was written. The header of your post says "new" design, yet it is not new as both Jim and I stated.
It also states, quote, "His designs, and, built with his own hands. This sophisticated yet sensible concept could take over the worlds future wind generating needs", end quote. Yet it is not "his" design, it is a copy of or a changing of someone elses design, and if it was going to take over the world's future wind generating needs, I would assume that the people building them 30 years ago with teams of engineers would already have done so.
Again, if I misread or misunderstood what was said, sorry. Doesn't mean he isn't a sharp guy, obviously he is.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

JimAnderson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Wind energy

Post by JimAnderson » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:53 pm

Scotty,
I too, may have misunderstood your post.When you use the word new to describe what I know to be at least 30 year old technology,I hope
you can understand.Your friend has new control technology available
to him now that was only a dream back in the late 70's and early 80's.
It took only 50 years to perfect Jack Northrups flying wing with new
control technology.Lets hope Glen can do it in less time.
Luck,JimAnderson

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:37 pm

I apologise as well, I re read my post and it is easy to see how I
misrepresented the facts.

Glen did his final paper in university on this topic many years ago and, had a burning desire to get back to it after he retired.

First he built his construction company.

Now with the help of his computer is back working hard to prove something he believed in all along.

It is always enjoyable to stop in and see the daily progress as well as catch up on the recent data.

We wish him well, he has made important improvements and many in the field are following his progress.

Jim and Lavoy, I know you were trying to help.

Scott
backhoe attachment.