JD350 track carrier roller shaft coming out of the housing..

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
kilohertz
440 crawler
440 crawler

JD350 track carrier roller shaft coming out of the housing..

Post by kilohertz » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:58 am

Hi guys,

I just found this forum again in search for some help on the track roller carrier problem. I forgot we have a dedicated JD Crawler forum...great!! I hate getting old. :roll:

I have been working around the property and noticed yesterday when I did my inspection that the right hand side track carrier roller shaft has worked its' way out of the housing. It's a first gen JD350, 1965. I thought these were pressed into the housing. What would cause this to occur? The whole undercarriage was new about 8 years ago, and has maybe 300 hours on it, new pins, bushings, rollers etc. Was about $8,000 worth from the bills I have from the previous owner. The track pins seem very stiff, I guess from being still new?? As you can see in the pic of the left hand side, which is fine, the tracks seem stiff. I have included a few pics of the failed shaft side, as well as a few of the general condition of the track so you can see if there is anything wrong in the wear patterns.

Can I just remove the housing and press this back in? What would be the correct course of action?

Thanks

http://www3.telus.net/radioboy/DSCN4567.JPG

http://www3.telus.net/radioboy/DSCN4569.JPG

http://www3.telus.net/radioboy/DSCN4572.JPG

http://www3.telus.net/radioboy/DSCN4573.JPG

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:35 am

I don't see any oil leaking out????? I would say lack of lubrication or wrong lubrication they use SAE 140 gear oil not heavy grease.. my guess is the roller is galled to the shaft and has spun the pin out ...need to pull roller and see if all is well there if so you could press the pin back to spec and weld the back side of the tower to hold it... also something is hitting the ends of the pins on the right side track
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

kilohertz
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by kilohertz » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:42 pm

Hi JT,

Thanks for the quick reply. Well, I think the oil is inside the roller itself, looking at the parts diagram it looks like the seal is right at the back of the roller. The roller spins very freely on the shaft and has just a little end play, maybe .050"?? The bushings feel just fine. We do regularly lube it with the special fitting gun with the right fluid. What I'm confused about, is what is that grooved pully looking thing just behind the roller? Is that a support for the end of the shaft? I will have to pull the whole housing I think, and then remove the roller from the shaft and see what is going on behind it. I found another picture on Wengers site in my search and they have a used shaft housing with the shaft and it shows signs of the shaft creeping out of the housing as well.

Yes, I noticed that rub on the pins/track as well. I need to figure out where that is coming from.

Appreciate the help,

Paul

cdunn
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by cdunn » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:27 pm

Could it be that the sprocket on that side is not lined up with the center of bottom roller causing track rail to exert outward force on the carrier roller? Where track carrier attaches to rear cross member, there are shims to adjust this.
57 420c 86 Ford 4600
67 350 dozer
66 350 loader
58 Oliver OC-4
48 8n Ford
49 Farmall Cub
Struck Mini-Dozer

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:52 pm

the thing behind the roller is the seal (about $300 from jd ...lavoy has them right now for less than $100 I believe) it is not doing anything as loose as it is that's why I said there should be oil all over around the bottom of the roller.... when you fill them do you pull the one bolt out that tells you when its full? you need to pull the 3 bolts out then there are 2 allen socket head bolts that hold the roller on the shaft
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

kilohertz
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by kilohertz » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:59 am

HI Guys,

I just got around to pulling it apart last night and found the shaft had simply worked its' way out of the housing. The roller and bushings and oil were all fine, inside the roller itself. I just tapped the shaft back into the housing and put it back on. If it looks like it will work its' way back out, then I will tack weld the shaft on the back to hold it in place.

Thanks all,

Paul

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:10 pm

If you can tap it in, it will fall out again. It is a pretty fair press fit, although I have gotten them in with an 8lb dead blow on an anvil before too.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com