John deere 440

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
fictional31m
420 crawler
420 crawler

John deere 440

Post by fictional31m » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:11 am

Hello back again I have a gas 440 crawler I have a question about the reverser everything works ok with it
but I was wondering what kind of lubrication goes in the reverser?
I’m guessing gear oil
it does make a "wirrrr" sound when its in the reverse position is that normal?
also a general question is do you guys use the reverser or just leave it in forward I’m a bit afraid to use it as people speak about failures and going bad etc I know not to pull a load with it and to use it while transmission is in reverse or put the transmission in high gear and use it for a faster reverse I would only use it for backing up for another scrape run.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:21 am

Hy-Gard or equivalent.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:32 am

Hi,

They whirr. The operational part is a set of spyder gears. They do make a bit of noise in the light hyd oil bath.

You can leave the reverser in forward and use the trans reverse. It can be a pain to get the gears to mesh sometimes, so I prefer leaving the trans in my working gear and reverse with the reverser.

Never, ever, have the reverser in reverse and the trans in reverse. I have a lockout bolt in the shifter gate on the trans reverse so this cannot happen by accident. I think you said you know this already, but I always like to repeat this one. ;)

Always brake to a complete stop before moving the reverser lever. The most common reverser fault are clutches that do not work because the clutch plate tabs are slightly bent from being used while the machine is still creeping because the brakes were not used.....

There is no neutral with the reverser, even if the lever will stay in what appears to be a neutral position. Always have it all the way forward or reverse.

I typically work in second or third, and reverse in whichever working gear I am using. I do not tend to use fourth except for transport from the barn to the work area. Fifth is scary. I do not like it in forward. I do not even want to think of it in reverse! :shock:

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:44 am

Reverser failure in my opinion is virtually always operator error and lack of maintenance. Use the clutch when shifting, don't use in reverse and reversed, change the oil when recommended or at least annually, and you are in all likelihood never going to have a problem unless one existed prior to you getting the crawler.
Lavoy

fictional31m
420 crawler
420 crawler

John deere 440

Post by fictional31m » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:32 pm

Sounds good this crawler was in very good condition I’m very fortunate and blessed to have gotten it
everything looks very well on it I discovered after pumping a tube of grease into the track tensioner that it was the screw type and not the grease fitting type lol well its lubed now I try to be very careful with my equipment but a lockout bolt isn’t a bad idea
mine has a 6 way blade and the main/center pin is worn how do you guys fix that issue?

I took it out in a field to test the higher gears out 5th gear was very fast with no fenders on a 440 it slung mud all over the place and me! I wasnt expecting it to be that fast

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:24 pm

New pin will help some, there are also bushings in the frame and angle piece too.
Lavoy

1010c
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by 1010c » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:26 pm

Just wondered about why you cant use reverse and the reverser in reverse. Do all these rules apply to a 1010 i fiqure a 1010 is almost the same. thanks

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:19 pm

By doing so, 100% if engine power is going through a small gear set. Normally you are pushing harder in forward then you will ever pull in reverse, so you have maximum load on a set of gears that fit in the palm of your hand.
1010 is a little different concept, but still no reason to ever use reverse and reversed.
Lavoy

1010c
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by 1010c » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:54 am

Okay thanks lavoy. I never did it on purpose just by accident a few times. Looks like i will have to be more care full. Also is it true for the 1010s that their is no neutral for the power shutle. Also it appears im suposed to clutch before changing the reverser. Looks like i am getting used to our new farm tractors with power shuttles. and one with IVT that you are not supposed to even need a clutch. Boy has john deere ever changed in 30 + years. Thanks for this information

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:39 am

There is no "clutch" on a reverser equipped 1010, the foot pedal is just splitting the clutch packs in the reverser. I would not use a neutral position on the 1010 mainly because there is no lock to keep it there. Put it in gear, put the reverser in neutral, got off the crawler and have a pant leg catch the reverser lever and pull it into gear is a recipe for disaster. 350 has a lock so that the reverser has to stay in neutral, but even then, I think that is more for powershaft operations than getting off the crawler.
Lavoy

fictional31m
420 crawler
420 crawler

John deere 440

Post by fictional31m » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:17 pm

My blade is identical to this one lavoy http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... 4f434e3488

the centre pin is worn looks like on the picture they have a bolt in it where might i find a bushing/pin I can weld a new one in place my blade tends to bite when pushing its not super worn out but does have play.

1010c
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by 1010c » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:03 pm

Okay thanks for the info Lavoy