JD 440 reverser

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
fictional31m
420 crawler
420 crawler

JD 440 reverser

Post by fictional31m » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:52 pm

I have a general question on the jd 440 does the engine have to be removed to rebuild/inspect the reverser?
I have strange sounds coming from this area and I don’t know if there normal noises or something is about to let loose.
one thing I have heard is a grinding noise like bearings when pushing and also I get a clunk clunk when I shut off the engine I have worked in a transmission shop and seen the damage spider gear bearing failure can cause there is fluid in the reverser and fluid in the transmission so there is lubrication.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:53 am

Hi,

Yes, you have to pull the engine to pull the reverser. The clunking noise you hear when shutting down is normal. There is a gear whine when used in reverse which can be pretty loud when the spyder gears are worn. It should make no noticeable noise in forward.

The reverser uses hydraulic fluid, the trans 90 weight. I have seen reversers lubed with 90 wt because folks try and 'quiet' them, and that actually makes them louder.....

The key with these reversers is to just move the machine with them in reverse - don't try pulling something else backwards. And, never use the reverser in reverse and the transmission in reverse at the same time. The spyder gears will last a long time.following these two rules.

Now, the clutch packs inside will do well if you keep them properly adjusted. Also, always use the brake pedal and ensure the machine is stopped before working the reverser lever. I have seen far too many bent clutch discs from folks not stopping before shifting.....

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:15 pm

While you have it apart, split the case with the spider gears and check the bearings, I will no longer do a reverser without doing this. I didn't bother on my own because I didn't think I could find parts. Spent some time sourcing parts for a customer machine, now I wish I had done mine.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

fictional31m
420 crawler
420 crawler

JD 440 reverser

Post by fictional31m » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:04 pm

This machine seams to have been taken care of a little wear here and there I'm not sure of the reverser clutch adjustment it looks like my fibres on my steering clutch are wore or the pressure plate is shot it use to steer quite well and it is dry in the finals
It sat for 6 years the previous owner said engine was condensation locked a little lube in the spark plug hole and i got it freed up and running changed all the fluids out as the gearbox was full to the shifter plate of milky gear oil along with everything else but I suspect the shop that did some work on it might have not used the special tool for the clutches but none the less it wont steer and throughout bearing is not putting pressure on the fingers total slipping in the fibres/steels could the reverser noise in forward be because its out of adjustment?