6405 Angle cylinder pins dropped (and general service q)

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Goober
420 crawler
420 crawler

6405 Angle cylinder pins dropped (and general service q)

Post by Goober » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:58 pm

So, day 1 of going over my new 450C and I am driving it around the horse arena playing with the 6 way blade - notice a lot of angle slop that shouldn't be there given the overall state of the blade. Start looking at the pins that support the back end of the hydraulic cylinders on the frame and it looks like they've dropped and aren't engaging the top dog ear of the cylinder (see pictures). Quick scan through service manual doesn't actually show how these pins are supposed to be "kept" in place but I do notice that there are holes on each side of the dog ear perhaps to hold a spring pin or something similar. What goes in there to keep the cylinder pins in place?

Also, anyone put together a "1000 hour" (ie full go-over) service parts and fluids list for a 450C - I want to do all filters, oils, greases etc... before putting it to work.

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:28 am

yes there is a spring pin that is missing that holds the main anchor pin in place there is also a bushing in the boom frame which looks like it is shot to the point of missing now....if it is missing then the hole is worn and you wont keep a new bushing in there which i would say is VERY common as they (JD) has? maybe HAD a kit # AT76361 that replaces the mounts both sides...............................the bushing #-U16935 -x2...anchor pin #-U16915-x2... spring pin #-34H341-x2
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 6405 Angle cylinder pins dropped (and general service q)

Post by Tigerhaze » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:25 pm

Goober wrote: Quick scan through service manual doesn't actually show how these pins are supposed to be "kept" in place but I do notice that there are holes on each side of the dog ear perhaps to hold a spring pin or something similar. What goes in there to keep the cylinder pins in place?
The service manual does not show everything; it is very handy to look at the parts manual too when diagnosing a parts issue. Luckily Deere provides them for free online at this location:

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com. ... ervlet_Alt

Search for "450C" in the model field at top left, you will see "1420-450C Crawler Bulldozer", then click on the section index, then click on "75- 6405, 6410 and 6415 Bulldozers". That will get you to the schematics for the blade.
Goober wrote: Also, anyone put together a "1000 hour" (ie full go-over) service parts and fluids list for a 450C - I want to do all filters, oils, greases etc... before putting it to work.
The operator's manual, if not the service manual, should have detailed lists of service intervals for various parts. That should be helpful in determining what you should service although filter and fluids would always be on the list for a major service interval as well as greasing all zerks and button fittings (except the track tensioner unless not properly tensioned).
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment