Gas engine overhaul

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Steelburner
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Steelburner » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:37 pm

With the valve train done, I have started on the oil pump overhaul. The pump gear lobes were gouged up badly, so I took a very fine Roloc disk and a die grinder to them and gently polished up the teeth. I took care not to round over the ends of the teeth or decrease the overall diameter of the pump gears. The photo shows the last tooth to be blended and the other teeth are done.

When I get some time, I plan to overhaul the original pump. It will require some sleeving and machining that I do not have the time to do now. I acquired a used pump that is in much better condition than the original. There is one significant difference between the two pumps, though. The original oil pump has gears that are 2" tall and the replacement has gears 1.5" tall. They each have the same diameters. I don't see a huge problem with this as the original pump screen bounced off the bottom of the oil pan. There are witness marks to prove it. Why did Deere change the design of the pump in this way? Do I have to do anything to the pressure regulator piston to maintain safe oil pressure, especially at idle? I have to confess that I have not measured the springs in each pump to see if there are any differences and I have not referenced the service manual either. Is there any way to set the oil pressure with the pump out of the engine?

[/img]Image
Image[/img]
Late model 1010 crawler loader