Introduction and JD 350 brake / clutch

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Brewha
40C crawler
40C crawler

Parts coming!

Post by Brewha » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:04 pm

Welp I called up Lavoy today. Parts are on the way. I'm just gonna do it all. Clutches, steels, brake...... everything. No need to monkey around and do it twice. Will post back when project is moving forward.
A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

1966 JD350 Straight

Brewha
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Brewha » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:34 pm

[img]http://i.imgur.com/jxw5IHm.jpg[/img]

still not sure what I am doing wrong with pictures

1966 JD350 Straight

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:11 pm

photo bucket can be tricky
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:37 am

Hi,

I turned it into a clickable link. It is too early in the morning for me to troubleshoot it. :P

http://i.imgur.com/jxw5IHm.jpg

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Brewha
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Brewha » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:27 pm

Thanks Stan.

1966 JD350 Straight

Brewha
40C crawler
40C crawler

Pilot bearing problem

Post by Brewha » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:10 pm

Most of the parts have come in. I still have to check the post office to see if the pressure plate came in yet. I am having some issues with the pilot bearing. I took all the clutch plate and disks out, with a hammer and punch as they were all rusted together. Got to the back gear where the pilot bearing rides and found the pilot trashed. I was able to pull the inner race, the ball bearings( which are now flat on one side) and half... yes half of the outer race out. The outer race is broken about half way in around the whole circumference. So it is basically split in the middle. It appears that the race cocked sideways in the there and mushroomed the metal to where the part that is left is hanging up on the mushroom. Also on the input shaft where the inner part of the pilot bearing rides is chewed up. Hope that makes sense I'll try to get my photo account sorted out so you all can see what I am talking about.

So in short the input shaft is chewed up where the pilot bearing rides and the gear /shaft that the pilot bearing is pressed into is chewed up. I am wondering if anyone else has ran into this and what was the fix. I am thinking about machining it all down if I can find an oversized bearing or using a sleeve.

1966 JD350 Straight

Toofarnorth
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Toofarnorth » Fri May 15, 2015 9:38 pm

I have the same problem. As well as deciding to replace the carrier and pinion seals while I'm in there...

Brewha
40C crawler
40C crawler

Finally got some time

Post by Brewha » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:57 pm

Welp I finally was bale to get freed up enough to work on the crawler today.
I made a mistake and messed up the brake band. I had 6 chunks of all thread with nuts and a small ruler. We stabbed the shaft in the clutch pack first so as to make sure it seated in the pilot correctly. Then started drawing it down with the nuts on the all thread while supported from the bottom with a big floor jack. We were real careful to make sure the brake got over the bevel on the drum before tightening down the nuts. I kept everything lined up within a tenth of an inch the whole time. Everything got down to about 1/4 of an inch within the gearbox touching the main box and it stopped. I gave her a couple good taps( probably where I went really wrong) with a big hammer. I was thinking it was hanging up on an alignment pin. No go. So got to looking from the top and noticed that the friction material is was peeling off of the band. I am not entirely sure where I went wrong. We had only about 4 or 5 threads on the nut for the band. Everything was straight. I am thinking that one of the linkages from the top got hung up and was holding the brake slightly closed.I have all the stuff up top tore apart too. Any suggestions?

1966 JD350 Straight

Brewha
40C crawler
40C crawler

throwout bearing not returing

Post by Brewha » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:06 pm

Also another thing that I was ignoring that I am think I might try to deal with is the fact that the return spring for the throwout bearing does not have enough force to overcome the rusty shaft upon which the throwout bearing rides ( the little forks), I started to try to drive it up and out but am thinking I might be opening a bigger can of worms that it is really worth. I mean what would be the harm in just making sure to push the steer handle all the way forward when not steering? Any thoughts on this? It retracts with a little bit up help and am thinking that maybe the clutch fingers will help get it past the point where it seems the stiffest. What peoples experience with these? Maybe I should get a new spring? The old one seems decent but perhaps a new spring would help. The fork part ( that holds the throwout bearing) is rusted pretty hard to the vertical shaft that has a linkage at the top.

Sorry for no pictures. I have tried to set up an imgur account but it seems that I am the only one who can view my pictures.

1966 JD350 Straight