JD 440 ICD LoveJoy install

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
scrpr
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD 440 ICD LoveJoy install

Post by scrpr » Tue May 19, 2015 5:33 pm

I have a JD 440 ICD with a 831 loader and a big JD backhoe attachment. I bought the 440 with a broken hydraulic system. The previous owner had started taking off the nose and decided it was too big of a job and let it sit for 10 years. I jacked up the loader and hoe, chained them up, started the Detroit and drove it on a trailer. once home I started researching possible problems. The hydraulic pump bracket had been removed but no lines removed. The pump shaft looks good(6 spline by 1") and I found a coupling(6 spline by 1" by 6 Spline) with a damaged end. The crankshaft adapter6 spline by1") looks good but appears to have a piece of shaft in it. It looks as though with a coupler and a 3" shaft I could be back together. My research talks about the hoe attachment overloading the hydraulics. I would like to install a lovejoy to prevent future breaks. I haven't found a place to buy parts.
Steve

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed May 20, 2015 12:28 am

There is no reason to install any non-factory parts, it worked when it was built, if it is not working, something is wrong, or the coupling is simply worn. The main thing that people did wrong on these is not have the hoe hoses hooked together when the hoe is detached. Then they hit the diverter button and blow up the hyd pump.
I have the coupling in stock, am out of shafts.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

scrpr
MC crawler
MC crawler

coupler

Post by scrpr » Thu May 21, 2015 4:25 pm

How much is your coupler? I found a drive shaft shop that had a 6" piece of 6 spline shaft. Will that work as well as the factory one? Just cut it to size?
Steve

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri May 22, 2015 9:43 am

Coupler is $70, shaft will work as long as you weld a sleeve over the portion that used to be raised up as a locator, assuming your shaft was original.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com