snap binders, a saftey tip

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

snap binders, a saftey tip

Post by townlineterry » Thu May 21, 2015 6:13 pm

Ever hear that you should not use a pipe to tighten down a snap binder because it might slip off and whack you? Well that ain't no bullshit. I found that out today in a very convincing manner. And, it only took thirty years of hauling equipment to find that out.

So after a day that involved a flying pipe to the fore head, laying unconscious on the ground for several minutes, stumbling back to the house, the wife taking me to the ER, a CAT scan, couple of stitches and a wicked bad headache I came to this conclusion. Being cheap doesn't pay in the long run. So, one the way home we bought some ratchet binders, and damn the expense. Feel free to profit from my experience.

Terry

p.s. I have six used chain binders for sale, cheap.

hydrogeo
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by hydrogeo » Fri May 22, 2015 8:11 am

I've always hated those snap binders. I don't haul a lot but when I do I use two snap binders and two ratchets. Tighten the snaps first so I don't have to reef on them and then use the ratchets with a short pipe to really snug the load. On my mini excavator I use heavy straps on the bucket and blade. The Staties around here are pretty good to deal with but they do watch that you have every implement tied down.

scampr
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by scampr » Fri May 22, 2015 9:35 am

Feel lucky, a coworker lost all his teeth that way. He wont touch one anymore. I have been lucky but always keep it in mind.I rarely use one anymore though, all ratchets unless i run out of those and have to resort back.
scampr 440icd, 350B, 47 Farmall H, 55 Farmall cub and ashamed to have a Kabota too

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri May 22, 2015 9:45 am

We switched to ratchets years ago when we first starting hauling crawlers. Over center binders work well on rubber tired tractors that have some flex, unfortunately crawlers don't flex. Pretty much got to the point we don't even use the over center binders on tractors any more either.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by townlineterry » Fri May 22, 2015 11:56 am

The thing that makes me feel really stupid about it is this. I am generally safety conscious, always use a remote chuck to inflate tires, never haul anything over weight, try to keep things in good condition. I knew for several years that I needed to replace these binders, but just never got around to it Well putting it off was not worth the days work missed, the hospital bill, the headache and worst of all the "I married an idiot" looks a got from the wife.

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Fri May 22, 2015 3:44 pm

I have been using the ratchet style binders for a while now. I was surprised to find that I can tighten a quality chain tight enough to break it. (the chain)
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Fri May 22, 2015 6:26 pm

the "I married an idiot" looks a got from the wife.
Sorry about the head ache. The look you got probably had nothing to do with anything; we all get them from time to time. :wink:
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

whiteclipse16
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by whiteclipse16 » Fri May 29, 2015 10:07 am

Scottyb wrote:I have been using the ratchet style binders for a while now. I was surprised to find that I can tighten a quality chain tight enough to break it. (the chain)
That's usually the word of caution that I tell people is to be careful. I've seen quite a few "stretched" chains from someone over-tightening with the ratchet style binders. Keep them oiled and they work great.
Ben

Great Grandpa's 1960 440ICD 602 blade
Between SN's: 455,633 - 456,801
Currently Rebuilding/Restoring