Used parts return policy

Parts, Services, and For-Sale
Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Used parts return policy

Post by Lavoy » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:20 pm

I recently had a situation with a used part, and thought I better address it here so that it is clear what the policy is.
As a general rule, I DO NOT send out a used part that I know to be defective or bad. I do occasionally miss something, and if so, contact me, and it will be handled. If I made a mistake, I will make it right somehow, or refund your money.
HOWEVER, do NOT call me 6 months after you received the part and have gotten cold feet, or bought the same piece cheaper at an auction, or got one from Christmas from you grandma and expect me to return it, it is NOT going to happen. IF you have had it in your possession for that long, you own it. You have had ample time to inspect it and/or install it and break it without my knowledge, so don't expect me to replace it.
Additionally, these machines are up to 60 years old, don't expect a used part to look like a new one, it is likely not going to. I inspect all used parts before I ship them, and if I don't feel they are good enough to ship, the go in the scrap dumpster. Obviously there are differing opions as to condition. If you feel that a part I sent you is not what you want, you are free to return the part, with the following criteria. 1-Unless I missed something very obvious, and you just don't like the LOOKS of the piece, you can return it, but freight will be at your expense, period, I do not have a free inspection period for used parts 2-Contact me IMMEDIATELY, not 3 months later. I have had two customers recently that have had the part for 4-6 months, and then called me up and were not happy. One of them visually inspected the part in person and said it was fine, then wanted a refund 6 months later. If you think I am being a jerk about it, I am sorry, but I challenge you to show me any used parts supplier that would give you your money back after that long of a period.
99.9% of the time there is no problem, but for the .1% of the time there is, the aforementioned will be the policy.
Thanks, any questions, feel free to e-mail or call.
Lavoy

cowboy4996
430 crawler
430 crawler

parts return policy

Post by cowboy4996 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:10 am

This seems more than fair to me. Better than a lot of places will do on returns. As someone in the new parts business, I've had people want to bring stuff back after having it for YEARS. I try to work with most of them, but there are limits. I just appreciate all your efforts to help, Lavoy. Thanks.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:04 pm

I would by lying if I said I have never screwed up on a used part, but when I do I make it right. Like I said, 99.9% there is no problem, and it is taken care of easily, there are just some people that will never be happy. The other thing I encounter is someone has there machine in a dealership, and the 20 year old mechanic can not figure out why a used shaft or gear does not look just like a new one and doesn't want to install it.
Lavoy

spooler
430 crawler
430 crawler

used parts

Post by spooler » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:44 pm

I get it, I got it and it is goood! Sounds more than fair to me, Lavoy. Your expert advice to me has always been free on this board. The least we can do is be fair with you.

Regards,
Chuck

JD440ICD2006
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by JD440ICD2006 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:23 pm

Lavoy,

As you and most of us know, there are crooks on both sides of the table. You have always been above board and more than willing to go the extra mile, not only with my request, but as I see you do for all others on this board. There is no doubt that your heart in the right place. If you make a mistake now and then, it just proves you are still human. :)
I had an experience not long ago where I called and chatted with a well known parts guy. We talked about an hour, had a very good conversation. I gave him a list of parts I needed. He stated that he knew he had most of them and even said he had several machines to get them from. I waited for 3 weeks, had not heard from him so I called and left a message. I waited after that for another week, and called again, left another message. He would not return my calls. All he had to do was make a quick call or answer the phone and tell me he was busy.
After I discussed what I needed with his partner, I figured I would eventually get what I needed. After 2 months of being ignored, he had his partner call me to say, "he said he don't have none of what you need."
I am convinced that he has at least some of the parts I requested, either that, or he lied about all of the parts donor machines he said he has around.
It is experiences like this that leave a bad impression. I am still puzzled as to what happened. Maybe he has so much business that my 5 or 6 parts were just not important enough?
1959 JD 440ICD w/64 Power Angle Tilt Blade
1959 JD 440ICD w/63 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 440IC w/602 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 730D W SE (many options)
1950 JD M S w/M-20 Mower
1952 JD M W
1955 FORD 640 (burns the most fuel)

Jimmy in NC
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jimmy in NC » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:54 am

Your expert advice to me has always been free on this board. The least we can do is be fair with you.
I don't think there is anyone else that'll answer a cell phone on a Sat. afternoon and talk with me about a rebuilding a 420C final drive.

That is truly priceless.

Thanks again for everything.

Jimmy in NC
1957 420C 4 roller 4 spd #61 blade 107,xxx ser.
Hand clutches, not for everyone.
Steering clutches, for even less.

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:32 pm

Lavoy we have a wrecking yard up here with a policy on the board behind the main desk [You bring back what is left of the car and we will give back whats left of the money]And good luck in real small letters . You could always try that .Digitup.