JD 1010 diesel crawler engine trouble

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:14 am

Just an easy thing to check; be sure the engine shutdown isn't slightly applied. That would cause low power but would still allow it to start and run.
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

vailvalley59
430 crawler
430 crawler

primer

Post by vailvalley59 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:24 am

Does your machine have a primer pump to aid starting? If it does you can use that to add extra fuel at any time and prove if lack of fuel is an issue. Just a thought.
2010 diesel loader, IH 886, Cat 1947 D4 dozer, IH 966, Ford 7000, IH 2500, IH 706 and other toys

Bob-O
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Bob-O » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:47 am

there is no fuel pump just gravity from the tank. I tried using the primer to give the engine more fuel while it ran but when i do this the engine sounds loud and blows out geryish white and black smoke. it almost makes a pinging noise. the shutoff lever works fine and is not slightly on. I am going to ask around town to see if anybody knows a good reputable diesel/heavy machine shop here in New Mexico and I guess I will have to bite the bullet and dish out the green backs for a shop to figure the problem out. My only worry is that most mechanic shops these days just replace parts to find the problem and that would be catastrophic to the wallet wiith this machine and its lack of parts availabity.

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:12 am

Are you sure the valve timing is correct? If you/re timed too fast, you will exhaust before finishing the power stroke and not iintaking as much air/fuel mixture as you should.
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:18 am

Was the pump rebuilt, or was it rebuilt by an injection shop with the proper testing equipment to make sure it is set correctly for your application. Again I will recommend, take the pump off, take it to an injection shop and have it tested. You problem is either fuel related, or something in the engine is assembled wrong. You can either tear the engine down, or you can take the injector pump off, I know which one is easier. That either fixes the problem, or eliminates it as a possibility.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:24 am

Are you sure the valve timing is correct? If you/re timed too fast, you will exhaust before finishing the power stroke and not iintaking as much air/fuel mixture as you should.

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:57 am

Lavoy wrote:Was the pump rebuilt, or was it rebuilt by an injection shop with the proper testing equipment to make sure it is set correctly for your application. Again I will recommend, take the pump off, take it to an injection shop and have it tested. You problem is either fuel related, or something in the engine is assembled wrong. You can either tear the engine down, or you can take the injector pump off, I know which one is easier. That either fixes the problem, or eliminates it as a possibility.
Lavoy
SAME thoughts here also have the injectors run and bench set :) :)
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:37 am

Hi,

Black smoke tells me too much fuel for the air, or a rough spray pattern.

We seem to have removed Overload, as in reverser or brake drag. Also, you have looked at the air intake. So, that leaves bad valve timing or we are back to the injection.

A good diesel pump shop can look at fuel delivery from the pump and injector spray patterns from your injectors - for what a 1010 engine wants. They have test equipment for this.

So, I would be double checking the valve timing, which it may be since the engine was apart after it left Deere. That is free of charge.

Then, if that ain't it, off to the pump shop with the IP and all four injectors.

A good shop can check what you have against what it ought to be without swapping a single part.

And, if it wrong, then it will cost a bit, of course. But, if that is wrong, then it is never gonna run right no matter what you do.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Bob-O
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Bob-O » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:00 pm

OK guys, I called a place in El Paso, Texas this morning and talked with them. They said they can test the enjectors and pump and find out if there is a problem. If they find the pump not working proper they will tear it down and find out what parts are bad. They told me that once they found what they need to replace or rebuild they will have a price for me. They never would come out and tell me how much it would cost to just test them but oh well. After I got off the phone I decided to go up and take the injectors off so that I could take the shims out of the nozzles and see how the machine ran with the injector pop off back at around 1200-1500 psi like Lavoy said they should be. I took out the shims put the injectors back in, bled the system two injectors at a time and then got the machine running again. Low and behold the engine was idleing real nice with no sputtering or back or white smoke. It sounded geat idleing and I had a glimps of hope. I throttled it up about 3/4 and the engine sounded good. I put her in gear and let off the clutch and started forward but the engine imediatley started to bog down and smoke(black smoke) real bad. Problem way worse than with the shimmed injectors. Now if this don't throw me for a loop. If the injector pop off was to high at the 2200psi range why did the thing run better. Needless to say, I am just going to throw down the bucks and have the injectors and pump checked out and rebuilt or whatever it is going to need. I sure hope that I don't end up spending a couple of grand to find out the machine still won't run. If that happens I don't think there is going to be any chance of ever getting my money back out of this machine or justifying it anyway.

mini kahuna
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by mini kahuna » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:33 am

if you got a change of symptoms by playing with the injectors, seems that would be the next thing to eliminate, cross your fingers you might have your machine running and are able to use it....if not you will be able to check pump and injectors off you list.
1010 loader

Bob-O
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Bob-O » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:03 pm

I hope this will find the culprit of the problems but I am not going to count my chickens before they hatch. I would like to hear some answers on my question about the timing being off a tooth on the oil pump though. If the oil pump gear was off a tooth to how the pump is supposed to alighn would the engine run at all or would it be to off to even start and run? I would also like to know what you all think about the price I paid for the machine. Was $4500 a reasonable price, to high, or to low? Is it worth dumping more money into?Remember, I live in the Southwest and these machines are not as plentiful as they are back east. Most of the time If you find one they have been worked to hard buy ranchers and farmers that they are not worth messing with.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:37 am

Not sure on the timing issue, someone else might have a better idea.
In the scheme of things, it doesn't matter what you paid for it, unless you are willing to lie to a potential buyer, you need to fix the problem to resell it, or it is really just a dead crawler.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Jaybird
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Jaybird » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:32 am

I replaced fuel pump on excavator once and got it off one gear and it did run . just not properly. I took it off again and got it off one notch the other way. Got it right the third time. Started it up and ran great for about 30 seconds then stopped. I got mad and started jerking fuel lines off. Found a plugged screen on the other side of primer pump. Stupid $895 mistake. :lol:
Jaybird

nails
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by nails » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:50 am

Jaybird wrote:Stupid $895 mistake.
That kind of thing is sure what I had in mind when I recently took my 1010 IP to the shop. But I really did need to spend the $750.33. (Central Motive in Albuquerque quoted more, but I didn't need some "hard" parts after all.)

So, I guess I'm lucky. Sorta. I do recommend these guys, all the same. And it did fix my tractor after months of screwing around.

--
Nails

halwelch
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by halwelch » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:09 pm

I've been following this thread just out of interest. I just read down through the last page again and the problem of lowering the injector pressure making it run rougher under load along with what Stan said about bad spray pattern made something click. A high pressure would likely partially make up for a poor spray pattern. I'll bet it's the injectors although I'd send em the pump too. I haven't worked on diesel fuel systems other than tracking down a loss of prime on my Cat years ago but physics is physics and it seems like more pressure would mask a problem of a poor spray pattern on the injectors. I just thought of something else. It certainly wouldn't hurt to pull the fuel lines between the pump and injectors and blow back through them with some air. Maybe, just maybe one or more lines are partially blocked. On the Cat anyway seems like the hole in those lines was mighty small. Wouldn't take much to partially plug em!
Hal in Lee, ME
JD 420c, Cat D4, Farmall H