New guy

Show us pictures of your JD crawler and attachments.
Dave Hitch
MC crawler
MC crawler

New guy

Post by Dave Hitch » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:04 am

Hey wanted to introduce myself my names Dave live in Auburn Ca just got a 420C loader. I've been trying to buy it from my friends parents for years they would never sell it. One of the steering tracks was stuck so it sat...neglected. Well family decided to sell the property it was on and now they had to clean up all the cars and junk. So guess what I'm now the care taker of it. Thy are going to Texas and it's now been gifted to me along w a dump truck.

Long story short I am pretty sure it's a 1958 as it has the big dipstick cap on the right side of engine? I got that from reading on the web somewhere. The loader portion was manufactured in Oakland Ca it was originally a cal trans crawler for the highway system here. Here's what I know it has a reverser, 5 roller under carriage, I think a 4 speed ?? I was able to go through the carb fired right up and drove it on the trailer Friday. Sat I pulled it off took some pics pulled the track pin and the outer drive off. What I figured out is both clutches and band brakes are like new except the right one water got in at it's frozen. The left is shiny and new everything. The give away on that is almost all the bolts on both sides were new. So having never done it before I got it apart in under two hours and started de rusting the parts in my white vinegar poor mans hot tank. I'll get some pics of it up soon I have used photo bucket in a long time I'll figure out my account there.

My known missing parts are
Grill
Foot boards w brake holder thingy
Rock guard at roller on one side
Left rear fender
Rear rippers are incomplete
Batt cover
Air cleaner cover "looks like added at time of loader"

Thanks
Dave Hitch

Dave Hitch
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Dave Hitch » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:26 am

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:08 pm

Welcome to the nut house ..... here are some clutch de-rusting tips/pics not 420 but same rust http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... 8&start=60
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:21 pm

Seems you got a rare backyard find.

Most of the time the ones lying about are junk because some guy pushed it there way back when upon realizing it was not worth fixing, but once in awhile you get one that was worked on recently and the owner died, or one more blasted part busted and it was THE ONE PART that sent him over the edge and the tractor into the back forty. I am glad you got it finally and are rebuilding it. Good for you for keeping another out of the junk heap.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

Dave Hitch
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Dave Hitch » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:47 pm

Thanks guys
Got it home Friday took it apart in under two hours Saturday (not bad for having never done one) put all the parts in my poor mans hot tank (tub of white vinegar) 4 hours scrubbing today, wire brushes, scuffy pads and a DA sander. Put it together in 45 mins and it works!!! The bands clutches ect are all brand new sorta on both sides I could tell the right side was new as well as all the fiber discs still had the machine marks on them once I got the rust off. The gear deal in the middle of the clutches had wear where the fibers wore so I somewhat smoothed that out with a file figurd it could not hurt. As soon as I was done with the track pin it started to rain so I only got about ten mins on it but it worked great. Here's the discs after clean up. A lil pitted but I don't think it will matter for what it is

Dave Hitch
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Dave Hitch » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:06 pm

Well today between rain clouds I got some time on it god news is the right track I cleaned up works great adjusted the throw out bearing and it's good. Bad news I think I need to now go through the left. I adjusted the left throw out all the way and it's still got too much play. I'm thinking rusty plates are holding the clutch out out and the fingers down??? Does that sound about right? Also had an issue with the starter switch went to my local elect shop 11 bucks later that's fixed. Also messed with the carb as it was sputtering adjustment screw was all the way out so I started to lean it out couple turns in and it now runs a lot smoother above idle. I'm thinking I need to go through the carb and clean it out then plugs points ect. Any helpful hints on tune up?
Thanks
Dave

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:33 pm

YES the rust build-up will lower the fingers and make it very hard if not impossible to get proper free play.... LOOKS like its time for round two ....DING
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

2010Crawler
420 crawler
420 crawler

Picture upload

Post by 2010Crawler » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:08 am

Hello Crawler friends.
I always notice that some forum users can upload pictures and I do not.
Does this have a special reason?
I could also contribute good pictures with my experience of 2010 and 15 years of standstill.
Please consider only as a question and not as a criticism.
Greetings from Germany[/list]

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:01 pm

Anyone can post pics, just need to host off site and link to them.
Lavov
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:02 pm

Congrats on getting your "new" machine up and moving. Be prepared to continue tinkering until you get up to your standards. Have fun.
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

2010Crawler
420 crawler
420 crawler

Picture upload

Post by 2010Crawler » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:37 am

I can read it on your homepage but unfortunately can not edit the post anymore.
Erasing was also no longer.
Sorry and greatings from Germany