Upside Down Woodsplitter Project

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Upside Down Woodsplitter Project

Post by CuttingEdge » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:49 am

A lot of people enjoy watching other people make home made projects and seeing the pictures as they progress in the project, so with Lavoy's permission, I thought I would keep you informed of my Upside Down Woodsplitter project. The whole concept of an upside down woodsplitter is simple: laziness. Every year at the Christian Camp where I volunteer, they cut and split 80 cord in 2-1/2 days and one hour into it I was praying for stamina. The concept with an upside down woodsplitter is to take the woodsplitter to the rounds of wood, pick them up, then split them over a trailer so that there is no lifting just the running of levers.

As always, I grabbed Katie for the start of this misadventure and got her stole away from the kids to help hook and unhook equipment. Katie is pretty good that way, and while she had two kids soaking in the tub, got away to help me for a moment. (We have a 11 year old that can manage things while we are out). The two girls still got pruned however by the time we got back. Hauling an old woodsplitter out of the weeds takes a wee bit of time lads.

Anyway my tractor is being rebuilt so that is down, and my dozer was 1/4 mile away, so I just used the ole Grocery-Getter, also known as a Ford Explorer to haul it back across the road.. The old woodsplitter was on the ground with no jack welded to it, so we had to lift its hitch up high enough to get it on the SUV. That is not an issue, I have a Wallenstein! So we first had to hook on to that, haul it across the road to our other house where the old woodsplitter was, then park the Wallenstein next to it. Then we backed the trailer close, pulled the trailer into alignment with the Wallenstein and hauled it away. After that we had to jack up the old woodsplitter to get it unhooked from the SUV since that was back across the road. But once it was unhitched it was just a matter of going back for the Wallenstein. Thankfully Katie was there to direct all the backing ups and stuff.

So we documented that with pictures, and ultimately what I am starting my project with. Its already got quite the history to it.

Our old woodsplitter is home made, made back in 1970 or so and something my Dad welded up. He is pretty proud of it, but knows if it does not change with the times, it will never be used again. I could weld up a totally new woodsplitter from scratch granted, but the majority of the parts are here, and I can see how it works first without dumping a lot of money into this project.

In its first configuration back in 1970, it was a 3 point hitch woodsplitter, but Dad disliked the way it worked, so he put it on a narrow trailer. Both modes worked, BUT it had the problem of having some extra steps to the firewood process. His grip was sawing the woods into rounds, picking up the rounds to split, then picking the wood up again onto the trailer. So about 1990, he took the woodsplitter and mounted it on our old manure spreader. Taking off the rear spreader tines, but leaving the bed chain on the manure spreader, it allowed tree length wood to be cut into rounds, rounds split and immediately thrown on the trailer. Then it was backed into his woodshed where the firewood load was hand cranked off with a lever controlling the live bed chain, as it was unloaded.

It worked well...

But now that I have a Wallenstein, the plan is to cut all the extra garbage off it, flip it upside down, convert it to a 4 way woodsplitter and be operated in its new and fourth mode since its creation. The hydraulic reservoir, and control valve will be mounted on a 3 point hitch arrangement, including a seat so I can run the levers on the Wallenstein comfortably along with the woodsplitter valves, add an awning in case it rains, and for a touch of whimsy, put some cup holders for ice cold cans of Coke. A man never wants to get dehydrated too much running those levers splitting wood you know? This will be driven by a prince PTO pump off my Kubota Tractor. The 3 point hitch arrangement will have a hitch naturally to attach the Wallenstein Log Trailer too.

It all sounds complicated, but its actually a very simple woodsplitter. Well her is to the the start of this project!

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5876CC87

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5863B925
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:52 am

Well I carved out an hour from my busy day and got to cutting a lot of the junk off from that old woodsplitter. I also got it divorced from the trailer it was attached too. That was not hard, it practically fell off, I guess that was what the rope was for. A lot easier to go and find a huge length of rope, bind the thing onto the trailer in 10 different configurations and tie just under 4 million knots then it was to tighten up the bolts that were already in place. Jeesh, two adjustable wrenches would have done it.

I also took off the woodsplitter valve and got rid of the plumbing on it. With all the black iron pipe, unions and elbows it looked like someone with a fitting fetish plumbed it up. I'll drastically reduce that to the minimal amount.

So that was as far as I got, but its progress. I had to pick it up and down to cut off some of the junk I no longer need so I swung it into the position it will resemble when done. Obviously the grapple won't be on it when in actual use, it will simply mount with a bolt to where the grapple mounts too, but you get the basic concept; and upside down woodsplitter on my log trailer.

I should probably keep track of my time on this thread too, just for fun. So far I have a half hour last night moving trailers around and getting the woodsplitter over to my house, and today I took an hour to cut all the excess junk off. Money wise, it's about $2.00 for a cut off wheel for my grinder.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=58670781
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:55 am

I did a lot on this build today, and I did very little. Let me explain.

I did not do very much on the actual build, but I dug out my T-Square and drafting set and laid out Front, Side and Overhead views of the 3 point hitch arrangement. This is the heart of the woodsplitter. Think of this whole build as having two parts.

(1) The splitter itself is rather simple, a splitter run by remote control back at the hitch of the trailer where my log loader controls are.

(2) The 3 point hitch arrangement has the PTO pump, has a mount for the hydraulic reservoir, mounts for a seat (since standing all day would be fatiguing), and the wood splitter valve. It also has to have a hitch for the log trailer to bolt to so it must be fairly rugged.

So I got some tight tolerances and wanted to draw up everything that fits in such a small area. I also wanted to use as much scrap steel as I could to keep this splitter down in cost. I think I can get it to work without much fuss and even without a lot of welding. I am a welder by trade, but at home...yeah I hate welding.

Anyway, that is where I am at so far!

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:30 pm

Always interested in hearing about others' interests beyond our common dozer addiction. Keep on posting. I look forward to seeing your splitter rebuild.

Btw, my pallet fork project is restarting due to cold weather forcing the need. :D
Last edited by Paul Buhler on Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:27 am

I was thinking of you when I started this project as I was interested in your pallet fork project.

I still post things on here even without replies because this site is different in that a lot of people come here for specific issues with their bulldozers. i understand that and am not upset when my posts go unanswered.

This will be an on again/off again project because I really do not need a woodsplitter as I don't burn firewood. I know, crazy considering the hundreds of forested acres I have, all the sawmills and the slab wood they produce, and all the wood I cut for others, but I actually prefer to burn coal.

But every year the camp where my wife and I volunteer does a firewood bee, with about 50 guys cutting, splitting and stacking 80 cord of firewood. My goal is to have it completed by then.

notmeu
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by notmeu » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:55 am

I agree with paul, its always nice to hear about other peoples projects and ways of inventing something new to make life easier weather it's a time saver or a back saver! I also just completed a project building a firewood processor but unlike your 80 cords in two days I only do about 10 cords a year. My project was done to be a back saver! Best of luck with your project, I also am looking forward to the progress!
1956 JD420, gearmatic 8a winch, custom 6 way blade and FOPS.

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:48 am

Tom, how about some pictures?
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

notmeu
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by notmeu » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:00 pm

Paul Buhler wrote:Tom, how about some pictures?
Here is one that should take you to my Photobucket account. I have a couple more photos there. All of my build photos are on my phone which I will have to transfer sometime.

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q48 ... bojv5x.jpg

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:16 am

That is really nice!

I love two things:

(1) smaller equipment used to do big projects. I say that because it is easy to overbuild something and overspend doing it, but to make something that is small, works well and can be done by many landowners is awesome.

(2) Homemade projects that look professionally made and not crude.

Your firewood processor is both of those things (as well as your forks Paul) and I am impressed with how nice looking your firewood processor is. Very well done!

notmeu
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by notmeu » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:15 am

Thanks cuttingedge, I appreciate the compliments! Although i did supersize or overbuild some of the steel parts for wear resistance. Its amazing what 28 tons of pressure can do to metal!