Chainsaw vs Skidder (not good)

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Chainsaw vs Skidder (not good)

Post by CuttingEdge » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:33 pm

So........ever wonder what a Ms 461 Stihl chainsaw looks like after it has been run over by a 12,000 pound Clark 664C Clark Ranger skidder? Well wonder no more because here is a picture of such an event.

I think it is fixable, but probably going to cost me $350 or more. It is a 1 year old, $1100 chainsaw!

Until it is fixed I replaced it with a new Husqvarna 562 chainsaw but I am not very happy with it; compared to the Stihl it is pretty gutless.

I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Chainsaw vs Skidder (not good)

Post by Paul Buhler » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:03 pm

You know the phrase "there are old loggers and bold loggers, but no old, bold loggers?" I'd suggest you evaluate where you fit in the picture. You seem to have more than your fair share of misadventures. Take care. Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:51 am

I agree the stihl saws are boss. Years ago i bent the handle on my 066. I had it on the ground and was backing up my 69 GMC K10. Tiny little OEM mirrors. I didn't see the saw and the tire "nugged" it. I was upset. My neighbor dropped his 330 Homelite off his ATV while going down the road, bungy cord broke. Smashed the handle and trigger assembly. He tried all kinds of stuff to fix it, screws, JB, tape. He spent hours repairing and it would only last 15-30 minutes. He gave up snd gave it to me. A few $ on ebay, wait one week, burn about 3 hours of labor, still working-nice small saw 5 years later.. Take care, Bruce

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:11 am

Paul Buhler wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:03 pm
You know the phrase "there are old loggers and bold loggers, but no old, bold loggers?" I'd suggest you evaluate where you fit in the picture. You seem to have more than your fair share of misadventures. Take care. Paul
I really do not know what happened. Typically I put my saw behind a big tree if it is on the ground so there is NO WAY it can be hit by something (like a bulldozer or skidder), or of course on the skidder itself.

This was the twitch from hades anyway, starting with a tree that pinched my saw on the back cut, then I found it almost impossible to get to in order to push it over because the skidder was wider then the trees I was trying to squeeze through. I ended up finding a jill poke that was stout enough and long enough and jammed that between the blade and the leaned-back-tree, and was able to push the tree over then. After that I started to cut a clump of four trees, but they were so close my saw kept kicking back. I was not too happy about that!Then I proceeded to hook the twitch up (7 trees) by cable, sucked them in, watched them all get hung up on their butt ends, and then watched them go by me on the skidder. In other words, 180 degrees where they should have rested.

No big deal, I'll go the other way I thought.

So I released the winch, backed over my cable, jockeyed the skidder around, and was backing up to my twitch from the opposite direction when I could smell gasoline. I mean strong. Diesel smoke...yeah I inhale that all day, but this was gasoline, strange...so I thought a jill-poke got my chainsaw gas jug on the back of the skidder. That was fine, but that was when I noted my chainsaw was not under my feet. (I lay it on the floorboard of the skidder cab). Not seeing it I had to do a 360 degree look around the skidder before I found it...mashed.

As I said, I always leave it behind a big tree if I leave it on the ground where it cannot get mashed. This is very rare as 90% of the time I return it to the skidder. But this is not exactly a lawn I am working on. Very rough ground, lots of cradle-knolls, rocks, ledge and stumps. I hit all that and a big hemlock tree I drove over, so the saw might have been pitched out of the cab. That skidder is nice in that it can go just about anywhere, but you cannot see a blessed thing when you do. So I had a lot to watch as I turned it around while still connected to my twitch.

So pitched out, or set accidentally in a spot I never expected to drive the skidder; I don't know?

Here is a picture of my favorite Lumber Jill (wife) holding my new chainsaw. She make a much better model than I ever would!

I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:59 am

Not sure that is appropriate wood cutting and safety attire! :D
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:24 pm

Probably not, but Paul Bunyon did wear a plaid red and black shirt. I always assumed Mrs Bunyon did as well. The miniskirt and heels...I am not so sure about.