Cut Some Nice Sugar Maple this Week

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Cut Some Nice Sugar Maple this Week

Post by CuttingEdge » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:57 pm

I have been cutting around this Sugar Maple all summer and last week when the Mat Log Market opened back up after a year off, I decided it was time to put a little more daylight on the swamp.

These are the biggest at 34 and 36 inches in diameter, but were clear for 30 feet up making for some nice logs. The Ash logs around them were just as nice, and about the only thing Maine has going for it right now is that the Emerald Ash Borer has not hit yet, so we are getting pretty high prices for Ash. Even then my foresters are all telling me...cut every ash tree you can. The Emerald Ash Borer is coming and already in New Hampshire.

Please don't judge the condition of my woodlot. We are part of the American Tree Farm System, but am working on clearing a few spot for new fields. Normally I do NOT log this hard!

I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Re: Cut Some Nice Sugar Maple this Week

Post by CuttingEdge » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:56 am

I did pretty good on these logs. I ended up with 2-1/2 loads of logs, and three loads of pulpwood, so roughly about $5000 worth of wood. Of course when you factor in all the years it took for the wood to grow, and all the taxes paid in, I am not so sure it works out so favorably, but that is how it works.

The scaler was pretty happy though; no metal from sugaring spiles, and very little heartwood considering their size. It was a good week last week.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!