Finally won an auction!

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Finally won an auction!

Post by amos » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:08 am

Hi folks. Just wanted to share some good news. I finally won another auction(I'm "thrifty" and as such bid tight) on a 1979 JD 410 backhoe. Rubber tired and it's about as ugly as can be. Oil squirting out of most of the hydraulic lines,most cylinders need re-packing,and did I say it is about ugly as can be?
She runs and moves with full function of loader,backhoe,tranny,reverser,brakes,and when you look past the ugliness she has good bones with no repair welds and potential. And I have a new project. Woo-Hoo! :D
With transport it is $5200.00 and I'll keep good records on repair costs on this project.
Tech note: the injection pump is leaking diesel externally through the o-rings seals on linkages. When you see this(caused by low sulpher diesel degradation of the rubber compound on the old O rings and new O rings are not affected) it is prudent to remove and at least replace all seal rings. If it's leaking externally it may well be leaking internally along the gear drive shaft and you can contaminate the engine oil with diesel and you could ruin a good engine.
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: Finally won an auction!

Post by 77 Ford » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:20 am

Good luck to you!

It's an odd thing and I know has no rational argument but I really like working on my loader but I hate working on my backhoe LOL....I can't explain it at all.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: Finally won an auction!

Post by amos » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:36 am

Same here. Some machines are relaxing to fix and some are just work.Earlier post I mentioned I fixed and sold 14 Jeep Wranglers.11 were YJ's(square headlights) and enjoyed those. 3 were TJ's(model following YJ and back to round headlights) and hated every single one of those.
But after 14 it turned into work as no problems were left to muddle through(like that part) and moved on to more challenges.
What I've found on most fixes(other than a blown engine) is that repairs are 90% correcting either previous bad repairs or addressing problems caused by lack of maintenance.
Same on heavy equipment:almost all repairs are fixes for either previous bad repairs or correcting lack of basic maintenance. Learned years ago oil and grease is cheaper than bearings and bushings and soap and water is a good investment. Keep the dirt and grime off and it won't get in.
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...