Almost got hurt BAD!

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Almost got hurt BAD!

Post by amos » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:24 am

Dang near hurt myself Friday while loading a piece of equipment.17 degrees and machine was sluggish even after running for 30 minutes to warm up everything. During loading while going up trailer ramp front end came up way too high and then machine wouldn't shift to neutral before getting crosswise on trailer ramps and coming close to a rollover.
There is no such thing as a non-preventable accident and I'm at fault here: got in a hurry and didn't test operate machine on ground level long enough to make sure it was in a safe condition to load.
Yard hands at location scattered and when they came back to me after I stabilized the machine were surprised that I wasn't rattled. Combat vet and if you get shot at enough,go through 4 typhoons and 3 hurricanes at sea,spend 18 months dodging MIGS and mines in the Persian Gulf you tend to look at anything as a problem to be solved and nothing to get excited about.
Anyway made it back (400 miles) and unloaded machine without incident.
I'm a fine one to offer advice but we should all take a moment and be sure of machine or task at hand before getting hurt or in a bad situation.
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

Al Swearengen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: Almost got hurt BAD!

Post by Al Swearengen » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:37 pm

When I bought my dozer, the guy who I hired to deliver it almost did the very same thing. He somehow panicked...I swear...one more inch over the edge would have tumbled it too. Thankfully, when he messed up, he had both feet on the brake! Was able to get up on the flatbed, drop the throttle, and get it into park so he could dismount!
'99 450G 6-Way

egeor
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by egeor » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:42 pm

Back them on drive them off especially with a hoe.
68 350 loader
79 350c loader
88 case 580k 4x4
89 ford 2120 4x4

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:18 am

I tried to load my loader forward once, slid down or off the ramps three times. I'm a 100% believer in backing them on, line up, set the throttle around 850 rpm and I just squirt up and break over and throttle down and i'm in place.

Now loading my 580c hoe puckers me up....I can't get that up or down without the front end off the ground.....
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:00 am

My trailer is a belshe with a 20' deck and a 5' dovetail. 30K gross D.O.T. rated. No problem with 450C or 450G but with backhoe I have to drive on with loader bucket forward as I need to lower boom with stick curled onto dovetail to stay below 13' 6".Have to load another 310AD backhoe this morning at a JD equipment dealer and will ask them for suggestion. Never an issue if backhoe bucket doesn't drag during loading:but if it does you can't extend stick to get clearance as it really throws off center of gravity. Use bucket to push works but not with machines "needing work". Do have a winch trailer and could use it or mount a winch to the belshe.
Amos

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:05 pm

Used to carry a bag of sandbox sand in the truck cab to sprinkle on a slick deck. No salt so less corrosive. Made for better footing too. Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:46 am

Had to load a 310AD and this time I swung boom and stick 90 degrees to left (right would work too) and loading on same trailer went without front end rising at all. When on trailer I then SLOWLY brought boom and stick back to centerline and all was good.Might have figured out the safe way to load a backhoe :)
Amos

tuney443
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by tuney443 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:07 pm

Yes siree, light in the front TLB's loading forward on a deck over trailer--sometimes can be "fun" when it's not your usual/own rig.Moved my most hated hoe 2 weeks ago,an OLD 580 "Cant afford something else"(Case) with no brakes.The seller put it on my trailer but 3 hours laterin the dark (after DOT hours) I had to take it off since the new owner said he was scared to do so. Told him to get out of the way and don't look because he might need to change his drawers when he sees his front tires pulling a wheelie. All went well, here I am writing. Need to find a 500 lb.woman with laringitis to throw into the loader bucket next time.lol.
Found the skull to the mastodon in Hyde Park, youngest one ever found so far in the world in 2000.

JD35D midi exc.
JD410G TLB
JD450D Dozer
2 JD 440 track loaders
JD 420 track loader
JD 450C track loader

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:27 pm

tuney443 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:07 pm
Yes siree, light in the front TLB's loading forward on a deck over trailer--sometimes can be "fun" when it's not your usual/own rig. Need to find a 500 lb.woman with laringitis to throw into the loader bucket next time.lol.
You can use my ex-wife.

Every divorced man claims they married a beauty queen on their wedding day, but wedding cake fattened them up, but in my case, my ex-wife (#2) definitely found plenty of quarts of Haagen-Daaz ice cream after October 9th 2005.

Private message me for her address and I will hook you up. She needs a boyfriend, or at the very least used for traction on a low bed deck (kidding people, just kidding...on the traction sand part at least. You could use her successfully for counterweight in the bucket as long as the welds are well made).
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

tuney443
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by tuney443 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:30 pm

If you were a nice X husband you could have offered a machine to off load the Haagan-Daaz in 55 gallon drums to save her $ with those pricey qts.lol
Found the skull to the mastodon in Hyde Park, youngest one ever found so far in the world in 2000.

JD35D midi exc.
JD410G TLB
JD450D Dozer
2 JD 440 track loaders
JD 420 track loader
JD 450C track loader