Looking at a 350b crawler loader needs steering clutches

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
joe440
MC crawler
MC crawler

Looking at a 350b crawler loader needs steering clutches

Post by joe440 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:14 am

Hey everyone first timer here, I'm looking at a 350b crawler with 3000hrs and new bottom, needs clutches , how $$ per side to do them with me doing the work? Anyone have pics ?? Also are the seals available for track tensioners?? Will be used around farm for chores and grading etc, any and all help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: Looking at a 350b crawler loader needs steering clutches

Post by amos » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:52 pm

Around $200.00 per side for clutch discs and friction discs set.Seals etc add another $100.00 per side.On track tensioner seals with ball check about $25.00 per.If yokes are bad add $200.00 per side.
Raise and block loader arms and bucket. Get master link to 9 o'clock on right side sprocket(left side will need to be at 3 o'clock, Drive out master link pin,split track and back crawler off of rail so sprocket is clear. Jack up rear of unit and start breaking it down. Shaft has to come out to get clutch pack out.
Factory service manuals and even more important a factory parts manual(most sources will need the correct JD part number to find part) are available and they provide step by step procedure. Well worth the couple of hundred for a factory original.
On a scale of 1 to 5 with 1 being an oil change this job is a solid 4.
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:45 am

Just a thought: if clutches are bad it won't move under load. If steering is the problem it's probably the brakes. So it it moves under load I would first try adjusting the brake bands if it doesn't steer properly, Very easy job.
Amos

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:52 am

And:
350B have dry clutches and brakes.Each side had a 4 bolt access cover under seat area(left and right of seat toward back). remove cover and if you see oil the transmission seals are shot and you're back to a complete tear down to fix. If dry this is the access to adjust brake bands. Pull steering lever back 1" and block in that position. Tighten brake band adjuster till snug then loosen 1 turn.
Very easy job.
Amos

joe440
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by joe440 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:27 am

Thanks for all the advice and help!! Seller said right clutch was stuck and worked it in a pile and it broke free, but now has no power to that side?? So final drives have to come off to do clutches?? Do fuel and hydraulic tanks come off?? Thanks again for the help ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:37 am

Yes, finals have to come off. I usually leave tank on, but book will probably show removing it.
Guessing your bad clutch stripped the splines in the fibers, but might be something else. Second on getting parts and service manual prior to doing the job.
I have all the steering clutch parts normally on hand.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

joe440
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by joe440 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:43 am

Thanks for help and the best tool for a machine is the service books!! I have one for every tractor I own, glad to know a source for in stock parts and advice๐Ÿ‘ It also has a winch in good shape, any idea of what they're worth?? I have no use for it and guess it will have to come off anyway to remove finals?? Thanks again!!

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:26 am

winch can stay on when removing finals and market is thin and limited. I'd list it for $1500.00 and be happy with a $1000.00 offer.But first time you get really stuck or high centered you'll wish you still had that winch.
Amos

joe440
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by joe440 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:37 am

Figured market was thin lol, might come in handy like you said, glad it doesn't have to come off๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š grease seals on track adjuster a hard job??

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:24 pm

tensioner seals are pretty straight forward replacement. Split tracks and drive dozer forward on rails(chain) until track rotates off of front idler. Remove the 4 bolts attaching the yoke to the front idler assembly.Use a bar to push idler forward till it's almost off.Remove cover plug and grease valve on yoke(don't loose the ball as it's important). Grasp yoke twist and push toward idler until it clears the tensioner rod.Seal is on the rod.
Pop off outer dust seal then replace tensioner seal.
To re-assemble
Slide dust seal on tensioner shaft(cup toward back of machine).put a little grease on new tensioner seal the install yoke by pivoting,rotating and pushing: it will pop right on.Ease it toward drive sprocket a few inches then install the dust seal(small ball peen hammer works well).Ease yoke back a little more then install idler and yoke to idler bolts.
Install grease valve and if this is all your doing then back dozer on rails and get track master link to 9 oclock and put track back on. Then inject grease into tensioner to set tracks.
Amos

joe440
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by joe440 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:09 pm

Thank you again for the great advice and step by step procedures involved ๐Ÿ™‚, I hope to put a deposit on dozer if person before me passes on it hopefully ๐Ÿ˜Š I will get pics if I end up with dozer, thanks again I appreciate the help ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘