420C Seal Beam Light Wiring

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
bookman51
430 crawler
430 crawler

Re: 420C Seal Beam Light Wiring

Post by bookman51 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:09 am

Stan, Thanks. On the left fender of my crawler there are two holes to the rear that are not used for the carriage bolts holding the fender on. The rear hole is 3/8" and the one a few inches in front of it is "7/16". Now the studs/brackets on my front light are L shaped and welded on the light guard on the grille guard (M2189T). These studs/brackets are 5/8" diameter. The rear bracket/stud is slight different. It is part number M 1406 and one end is threaded. I have an internet picture of it but I cannot tell its dimensions. If I were to guess I would say it is probably 5/8" also since the clamps that go over it to hold the light on is probably the same clamps as used on the front light. I assume it is probably the same dimensions as far as length as the front light brackets/studs.

What I cannot tell from the picture are the dimensions of the threads on one end. It looks like threaded end has been reduced to either 7/16" or 3/8" diameter. I assume that was done so the bracket would not go entirely through the whole and a separate nut on the top side of the fender would not be needed. It would seem not a big task to take a 6" x 5/8" bolt and cut the head off, heat and bend it to an L. A little more of task is to reduce the threaded end to 3/8" or 7/16". Hence this is the reason for my question. Thanks Larry

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:13 pm

Light bracket is 3/8".
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

bookman51
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by bookman51 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:01 pm

Lavoy, Thanks. I stopped by a local machine shop this morning to see what it would cost to make one. Sounds like in the $25 to $30 range, unless I want a dozen or so made (but I did not ask the cost for that). I still look at it and think I could probably do it. I do not have a torch to heat up the 5/8" bolt or rod to bend it, but my nephew does. The machine shop fellow suggested welding a 3/8" bolt on the end, probably would be easier than machining or grind it down a 5/8" piece and the threading to 3/8" end with a die. As a 3/8" diameter it must fit in the back fender hole...I assume. Anyway I have some time to reflect upon it.

Thanks again. Larry